Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing a broken-off drill bit!

groovetube
11-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I am SO dumb! I broke a leaking oil sender off trying to remove it (88 4Runner,22-RE),and drilled out the stub 1/8",then when enlarging the hole with a 3/16",the drill bit broke off...Anybody have any advice on how to get that piece of bit out, so I can "gradually"enlarge the hole so I can easyout the stub and replace the sender? Anyone have a similar situation that might be useful to know about? The piece is flush to the sender stub and the hole in the block-maybe dig around it,twist counterclockwise with needle nose pliers? Any thoughts would be welcome!

Brian R.
11-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Can you post a picture?

groovetube
11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/C:\users\doc\pictures\BillHope this finally goes thru-have only sent pics in e-mail previously

groovetube
11-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry I couldn't upload that pic-but I'm not very up-to-date with pc procedures.If I had an e-mail address to send it to,I could have fired it off in a minute or two.Guess I would need to have an online photo service or the like. Anyhow, I got the drill piece out by filing a small pointy chisel to a smaller tip, whacking it with the side of a small maul (no room to play under there!)and trying to turn it counterclockwise for a while-and it came loose! I was just about losing hope when I lined it up and the piece wiggled.Thanks,Brian, for trying to help,and if there's an e-mail address to send pix to,let me know! I'm going to go REAL slow,and in tiny increments, drilling the stub out for the largest easy out I can fit in it, so I don't wind up in the same boat with the extractor snapped!-Groovetube

Add your comment to this topic!