Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The case of the mysteriously disappearing coolant...

Genopsyde
11-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Hello folks, long time no see.

I recently got a hold of a 94 3.4 V6 Camaro for cheap, so of course it has a few issues.

The coolant level in the radiator keeps dropping, and on a daily basis I have to top it off. The overflow level stays the same. The oil is clean and the exhaust is normal. When I hook the pressure tester up to the radiator and pump the air in, it holds pressure....no leaks, no puddles, nothing...

I'm open to suggestions...

Tech II
11-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Is this the regular 3.4 or the DOHC version?

Genopsyde
11-19-2011, 10:07 AM
pushrod, the dohc was only in fwd applications.

danielsatur
11-20-2011, 07:43 AM
If all the rubber hoses are good, you might want to try blue devil!

Genopsyde
11-20-2011, 03:12 PM
since this isn't a car that needs to be driven, I would prefer to find the problem and fix it the right way, rather than a bandaid fix.

I appreciate the suggestion though and will keep it in mind for future situations.

Tech II
11-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Why have you not thought of lower intake gaskets?

Genopsyde
11-21-2011, 01:25 AM
because it holds pressure.

danielsatur
11-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Hello folks, long time no see.

I recently got a hold of a 94 3.4 V6 Camaro for cheap, so of course it has a few issues.

The coolant level in the radiator keeps dropping, and on a daily basis I have to top it off. The overflow level stays the same. The oil is clean and the exhaust is normal. When I hook the pressure tester up to the radiator and pump the air in, it holds pressure....no leaks, no puddles, nothing...

I'm open to suggestions...

Because of Age + mileage , anything you do to this car is going to be a Band-Aid fix unless a total rebuild.

The rubber, plastic, gaskets, valve stem seals, and even freeze plugs are going to go bad.

Genopsyde
11-21-2011, 03:19 PM
I disagree, but that's a debate for another time...

starting to find moisture around the front right of the car, appears to be one of those leaks that only shows up when everything is hot, explaining why it holds pressure since you can only check pressure when cooled down...

danielsatur
11-21-2011, 03:45 PM
The pressure cold is going to be different than pressure hot, because heat expands rubber + plastic.

Add your comment to this topic!