Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 s-10 4.3 black carbon on new plugs

iceman3032003
11-18-2011, 02:37 PM
did complete tune up new plugs and wires, cap and rotor button it ran fine for about 20 mins then started rough idle and died will not start now but tries. it has a new coil new icm alco put new sensor in the distributer when replaced the rotor button. all parts are ac delco the black on the plugs is not oil it is carbon what else will cause this if not bad spark

old_master
11-18-2011, 05:10 PM
These things are very fussy when it comes to secondary ignition parts. Did you put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap? What brand of parts did you install?

iceman3032003
11-18-2011, 05:47 PM
yes and anti sieze on the plug threads just don't understand why this is getting the black carbon like lack of fire. Battery is very good the plugs and wires are not cheap o' sthey are like oem ac delco thanks

old_master
11-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Was it running OK before the tune up? Is the SES light on? Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown and if so, what were the readings?

iceman3032003
11-18-2011, 09:10 PM
No it was not running good before the tune up the plugs, wires, and cap and rotor were original it has 150,000 on it. My son bought it from a guy for 500.00 when the guy was pissed at it he had put a new fuel pump in it and it did not help the running of it. at cranking it does show 60 lbs but it does drop to 40 when the cranking is stopped. The prevous owner bought the fuel pump at auto zone and it is an airtex pump he paid over 200.00 for it what a ripp off. My son put a new tps and ect on it. After the tune up it started and ran smooth for 20 mins I did notice some smeel from the exhaut with much black carbon from the tail pipe. My guess is the fuel pump is a problem and maybe the return line or is it with the injecters and fuel pump regulator but the thick black carbon on the new plugs tells me I may not be burning all the fuel in the cyclinder

old_master
11-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, fuel presure must be 60psi to 66psi and must remain above 55psi for 3 to 5 minutes after the pump shuts off.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=927589

iceman3032003
11-18-2011, 11:11 PM
I am going to drop the tank and install a good fuel pump i tried using the red wire to test the pump and it does not prime, i cannot hear it when the key is turned on either so thank you for the pm it tells me much about what I do need to know. But i am still stumped to why the new plugs became so black in 20 mins of running I am not sure but I do think I have many things wrong here with this one.

iceman3032003
11-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Installed new fuel pump good fuel pressure with key on and engine not running it stays at 60 started and run for about 20 mins again lots of black smoke when it is rieved up and some when it is at idle. after 20 mins started to miss again then died not sure what is wrong causeing the black carbon the plugs are black and dry no oil on them but heavy carbon black. Any one seen this before

old_master
11-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Alright, back to the basics here...
1. Does the SES light illuminate when you initially turn the ignition on?
2. Does it shut off after the engine is running?
3. Are there any trouble codes in memory?
4. What name brand are the spark plugs?
5. What name brand is the cap & rotor?
6. Are you sure the plug wires are routed correctly?
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss58/cwhook/96newer43Lplugwires.jpg

iceman3032003
11-25-2011, 05:31 PM
No codes yes all wires are correct all parts are ac delco I don't do cheap so now whats the next basic

old_master
11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
1. Does the SES light illuminate when you initially turn the ignition to the RUN position for the bulb check?

2. Does it shut off after the engine is running?

What I'm trying to determine is if the SES light works, telling you there's a problem.

If you're seeing black smoke from the tail pipe, the SES light should be on with codes set in memory.

iceman3032003
11-25-2011, 05:47 PM
My next step is to check the cat it does get red hot just idling for 20 mins maybe the muffler is gloged also both os sensers are black also. If that does not fix it then put new injecter spider including fuel pressure regulator the only codes in the history is tps and it is now new also let you all know what happens when I get the time to do these things

iceman3032003
12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I took of the cat and it was still hard to start so I replaced the spider injector all new complete with the new conversation on it, it now starts easy all is goo with one exception. Since the cat was so heavy I replaced it and the muffler so the back pressure was good. When i start it the idle is very high so unplgged the mas and the idle goes to normal. it is not giving any codes for this, i have a s-10 p/u also so i swapped the mas from it to see if it is bad still no change idles high until I unplug it. I may be the IAC is bad will try that unless some one has another idea. Also a code in the history is P1621 eprom preformance any one know what that means can't find any info on this code.

Add your comment to this topic!