Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Caprice LS Leaking Coolant (Ext. Pass side, firewall area?)

mom_of_davian
11-17-2011, 06:37 PM
The leak looked like it was coming from a heater hose. The individual I bought it from said he fixed it and it wasn't leaking the day I bought it. Upon driving it home...cranked the heat up and windows fogged, switched to defog with no luck. Added some coolant and still the same thing and leak began again.
It smells like antifreeze inside and fog has oily feeling when wiping it off the window.
Got in on the lift and no luck seeing where it was leaking from, even with it running.....
My previous experience with bad heater cores is that it leaks on the inside and smells like coolant...anyone ever hear of it leaking on the outside or is it something else?

It's NOT overheating or blowing any kind of smoke. Temp gauge read normal!
It's a 4.3L

Thanks for looking!

gmtech1
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Sounds like a heater core for sure. It's probably leaking out of the evaporator drain.

Tech II
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
From the way you describe it, sure sounds like or smells like a heater core....

Surprised coolant is not coming out of the condensate drain......not sure of the position of the core on this vehicle, or if there is an access point to see it......have you tried pressure testing it?

silicon212
11-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm with the other two and I am going to go ahead and suggest heater core. They don't always leak inside the car. They sure will fog your windows up though.

j cAT
11-18-2011, 07:10 AM
with the heatercore leaking it only takes a very small amount of vapor to smell up and fog the windows. also breathing this toxic material is bad.

I would return this for him to repair. this is an expensive repair.

Add your comment to this topic!