Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 C1500 Silverado electrical issues

Fourtyfive
11-17-2011, 10:36 AM
As the title says, I have a 95 Silverado with a few electrical issues that seem to be tied to the brake system.

-The right brake light sometimes stops working but if i leave it switched on and hit a hard bump or hit it with my hand, it will start working again. Replaced the bulb and connector plate, neither fixed this issue.

-The brake lights will stay on randomly until i hit the brake pedal, which will turn them off (this has happened when the trucks sitting in the driveway no one in it, turned off).

-Truck has continued to run after I turned it off and key is in my hand. Will stay running until I hit the brake pedal.

-Slamming the driver door to hard has caused all accessories to come on, like the key was in ignition turned to on (again no key or anything in the ignition). I never tried rolling down the window or anything during that time to see if it was truly on or just the lights on the dash, but this is a pretty rare occurrence compared to the others. Again, everything shuts off when brake pedal is pressed.

If the truck isn't driven for more than 2 days, the battery will drain and ill have to jump it, any more than 2 days and it has to be fully charged as a jump wont do(30+minutes on a charger), which leads me to believe there is a short somewhere that is causing all of this.

My major problem is that it drains my battery and not the issues it causes other than the brake light not working has got me pulled over once or twice. As of right now, I dont have the battery hooked up to the truck because its not being driven, but unhooking the battery every time its not in uses will get old fast. Any ideas?

P.S. Sorry for the wall-o-text, but wanted to be detailed as i could and hope that breaking it up was easier on the eyes.

j cAT
11-17-2011, 03:31 PM
As the title says, I have a 95 Silverado with a few electrical issues that seem to be tied to the brake system.

-The right brake light sometimes stops working but if i leave it switched on and hit a hard bump or hit it with my hand, it will start working again. Replaced the bulb and connector plate, neither fixed this issue.

-The brake lights will stay on randomly until i hit the brake pedal, which will turn them off (this has happened when the trucks sitting in the driveway no one in it, turned off).

-Truck has continued to run after I turned it off and key is in my hand. Will stay running until I hit the brake pedal.

-Slamming the driver door to hard has caused all accessories to come on, like the key was in ignition turned to on (again no key or anything in the ignition). I never tried rolling down the window or anything during that time to see if it was truly on or just the lights on the dash, but this is a pretty rare occurrence compared to the others. Again, everything shuts off when brake pedal is pressed.

If the truck isn't driven for more than 2 days, the battery will drain and ill have to jump it, any more than 2 days and it has to be fully charged as a jump wont do(30+minutes on a charger), which leads me to believe there is a short somewhere that is causing all of this.

My major problem is that it drains my battery and not the issues it causes other than the brake light not working has got me pulled over once or twice. As of right now, I dont have the battery hooked up to the truck because its not being driven, but unhooking the battery every time its not in uses will get old fast. Any ideas?

P.S. Sorry for the wall-o-text, but wanted to be detailed as i could and hope that breaking it up was easier on the eyes.

I have seen weird stuff electrically with ignition switches that have contact springs worn.

replace the ignition switch. inspect wires at the switch , should be at the lower end of the steering collum..

777stickman
11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
A faulty alternator can cause engine run-on and battery drain.

Add your comment to this topic!