Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Metro 1.3L won't run/idle

corvairdoug
11-12-2011, 09:53 PM
In 2009,my 1996 1.3 L MEtro 5 speed (184000 miles),sheared the crank gear. I had it replaced, along with timing belt, and all was well. Last year, I replaced the fuel filter in spring. Later in the summer, had some knocking type sounds, like possibly a lifter that's bad. I changed the oil, put some Lucas (I think) fuel system cleaner in the tank because it had sat for a while. Next day, at stop lights, etc, it keeps trying to stall out. Eventually as the day went on, I had to turn the A/C off, and later, the fan too. It finally stalled at a light, and wouldn't run any more. I had it towed home, and that's where it's been for over a year.
It will start right up and idle, but as soon as you give it the least bit of gas, it dies. When I try to restart it, it will only run if the gas is floored,and it's hard to get going. If I let off the pedal at all, it dies. If I let it sit a day, it repeats the same scenario.
I removed the fuel filter, and gas ran out freely. I hooked up a fuel pressure tester in the filter's place. With the key on/engine off, it read nothing, with the engine running, it read 24 psi. I rented a code scanner, and got absolutely NO codes.
Any ideas?
THANKS!!

Woodie83
11-13-2011, 05:50 AM
that sounds as if your crank gear has come loose again. Your engine is famous for rocker/lifter problems, but they usually sound more like a tap. When the crank bolt comes loose, it sounds like a spun bearing. At 184K, you almost certainly need a rebuild, do a compression test.

Bearwulf
11-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Maybe they have the same problem as the GM autos of that vintage, fuel tank wiring shorting out. this occurs ot the sending unit on the tank.

Metro Mighty Mouse
11-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Maybe they have the same problem as the GM autos of that vintage, fuel tank wiring shorting out. this occurs ot the sending unit on the tank.

Never heard of that happening on one of these Suzukis, but I suppose it's possible.

MMM

Add your comment to this topic!