Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Source for tiny magnets?

MidMazar
11-12-2011, 09:43 PM
The new LFA from tamiya got me thinking a little bit on some future builds which hopefully i will start and not just talk about. But what i was thinking was making certain parts optional like spoiler,roof rack, antennas,etc. When you want to display the model with the parts just put them on and the magnets will do the work.

So is there any source anyone knows for tiny magnets? Also sources for big magnets would be nice also as im in the process of building a magnetic generator.

Thanks in advance.

viperofoz
11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Try this eBay seller

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100pc-3mm-x-1-5mm-Disc-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets-Magnet-1-8-inch-x-1-16-inch-/220889669966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336e0ce14e

My wife ordered some magnets from them recently, so I just did a quick check and found the above listed auction for 100 of 3mm x 1.5mm disc magnets.
They do have other sizes too If you take a look around.

Oh yeah, and they are VERY cheap and have free postage.

Regards, Dan

Exotics_Builder
11-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Or try

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/

ICMF
11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
HLJ and Hobby Search also stock some tiny magnets in various sizes and shapes. I ordered some from HLJ for a McLaren project (to hold some removable body panels), and while they weren't quite as tiny as the ones in the LFA kit, they're still very useful.

In fact, off the top of my head, I think they may well be about 3mm x 1.5mm... though mine cost a heck of a lot more than that eBay listing. :eek: Doing a quick search for different magnet sizes... yeah, I'd probably go the eBay route next time. In fact, I'm kinda tempted to go for one of the cheap-o, 200pc sets, just 'cause they're so darned fun to play with. :smile:

willimo
11-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I found some really tiny magnets, maybe 1mm tall discs 1mm around, on Ebay and they were very, very inexpensive and are a lot stronger than I expected.

Add your comment to this topic!