Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Red light by Dash Altenator Gauge

chubcobear
11-11-2011, 03:54 PM
This little red light flickers on mostly when I hit a bump, hit another bump, it goes off. Sometimes it stays on and then slowly fades off, with no regularity.
The gauge itself shows good charge, about 13-13.5, no problem, never any discharge. I'm beginning to think it is a short in the bulb socket in the dash, or a short in the sending unit, wherever that is. 1995 Buick Lesabre Limited . Any ideas? Thanks.

HotZ28
11-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Have you checked for loose, or corroded terminals @ the alternator?

chubcobear
11-12-2011, 09:02 AM
HotZ,
Yes, all connections are tight. I did find a tiny piece of fibre board/cork in four pin red wire sender connector well on top of Generator and removed it, but that did not seem to help. Hit a road bump & little red light goes on, and hit another road bump and little red light goes off. Sometimes it pops on for no reason, then off. You can turn it off by tapping the dash near the gauge. Loose connector in dash? Dunno.

chubcobear
11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
HotZ,
Could this problem be a faulty function of the UB3 cluster in my dash? Loose connection inside the cluster module? Everything on Generator side of the system checks out OK. Dunno.

stuzman
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
HotZ,
Could this problem be a faulty function of the UB3 cluster in my dash? Loose connection inside the cluster module? Everything on Generator side of the system checks out OK. Dunno.

Well, if you tap in the area of the dash and the problem goes away, it sounds like you've got a loose connection up in the dash.

Add your comment to this topic!