a/c frost

geckowest
11-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi, I've been reading this forum for sometime now and it's been nothing but great help. I have an issue that is greatly puzzling me right now and could use some help on. I have a 2000 regal and ......when I use the heater should I have an abundant amount of condensation on the A/C pipes?

example...When I turn on the HEATER, the A/C compressor comes on (clutch clicks) and frost develops on all the A/C pipes and the heat isnít all that hot through the vents and when I shut off the car, thereís a big puddle, (which I thought was a major water leak). So any help would be appreciated.

GTP Dad
11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
If you use the defrost or bi level setting the AC will engage. This causes the condensation that you indicate. If the AC compressor comes on when you don't have the selector on these two settings you may have an issue with the switch but I doubt it. Also if you turn the heater setting up into the red you shouldn't get the condensation either.

One thing you may want to check is to see that the drain for the heater box is open so that you aren't drawing too much condensation through the coil and causing the issue.

brcidd
11-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Frosty lines can be an indicator of loss of refrigerant in your a/c system. Frost occurs when suction pressure goes extremely low..
Suction pressure can go low with refrigerant lost through a leak.
Your variable stroke compressor does not cycle off with low pressure- it is a continuous run system.

How does the a/c cool when 80+ degf out? If poorly, then you need an a/c repair.

An a/c system recovery will tell you how much refrigerant is in the system.

Add your comment to this topic!