Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gauges with a warning light?

eric1h
11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
At CMP a few weeks ago, I overheated the Panoz pretty badly, damage still unknown...

I was in the middle of a very close bumper to bumper race and didn't see the water temps climbing(lost a water pump belt UGHH) it wasnt until I saw smoke from under the hood from the oil being shot out of the catch can onto the engine and started to pit in that i saw the water temp gauge pegged at the max 260 degrees...

Anyway, so I got to thinking... I NEED A WARNING LIGHT!!

Has anyone added a standalone warning light to, or added gauges with an integrated warning light? If so, which ones, average cost? Most concerned about oil pressure and water temp...

Cobrafang
11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I used the AutoMeter guages with the integrated warning light. I can't remember cost and such but they had the ability to be tapped into onthe back side so I could plug my data collection system into it as well. They were electric and 2.5" in diameter. I posted pictures a while ago. There is a small red LED in the bottom middle. It is not as good as a real stand alone warning light which I use for oil pressure but you can see it if you look at the guages.

PanozDuke
11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Eric,
Bummer. I have the same trouble when really focusing on the driving part. I'd think you need a big standalone light(s) mounted in your normal line of site. Summit has these with stand alone senders. Made by Auto Meter called Pro-Litre Warning Lights. Each light is about $45 and the senders about $20-25.

Hope you get that motor back to perfect.

Mike

eric1h
11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Mike, I just hate running ANOTHER set of senders because its more stuff to break or fail(adding the extra T, etc) But I really want a BIG warning light. I saw the Autometer ones, but the lights are just to small.

Add your comment to this topic!