Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

honda passport shifts hard

Drew_Navin
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
hi everybody, i have a 1999 honda passport with 113xxx miles on it, i bought it last night knowing it had this problem. i drove it around tell it was up to operating temp checked the fluid, it was the red it is suppose to be and didnt smell burnt at all. can anyone help me please, if you need more info i will try my best to.
thank you all in advance for the help.

amigo-2k
11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
your transmission range position sensor probably nee to me cleaned;

http://www.walkerdowney.com/ryanendres//isuzu/#faq59

Drew_Navin
11-08-2011, 10:05 PM
you wouldnt happen to have a pic of it looks like would you? i found a shroud with 2 10mm bolts where the block meets the tranny i removed that but found no nut.
so i moved further back on the tranni and found a black plastic cover piece with a nut in the middle which is a 14mm i went wo losen it and the tranni sounded like it was going to pop out of gear. am i doing the right one?

amigo-2k
11-09-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.walkerdowney.com/ryanendres//isuzu/range.pdf

Drew_Navin
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Ryan, thank you so much that helped me out a bunch. going to do that tonight see if this is the problem, hope it is.

Drew_Navin
11-09-2011, 06:01 PM
if that does not fix the problem, what else could be the problem?

amigo-2k
11-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Sometimes Isuzu transmissions do funny things with a weak electrical system. I could be the battery, alt, or ground points.

Also, it is possible the tranny is dying. These tranny's like to have their fluid swapped out every 25-30k ... many people wait until 100k and then they have problems and the transmission is toast.

Drew_Navin
11-10-2011, 12:20 PM
go under the the car last night removed the sensor cleaned it all up put it back on took it for a test drive and the shifting got much better but still rough, i did notice that the shifter was hard to pull back from Reverse to Low and Park was really touchy on getting it to go into park. im going to go back under tonight to click the gear shift forward one click and see if that hepls it.

Add your comment to this topic!