Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Frontend noise when in 4 wheel drive

winke1952
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a 97' Dodge Ram 4x4...when put in four wheel drive...going straight it's fine...but, when I turn left or right it's pulles and makes a grinding sound and clicking. It's one of those things thats hard to discribe...please help if you can.

Chris Stewart
11-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Sounds like one or both front axle u-joints are hurt.
They can't stand the steering being turned all the way either direction while under power
in 4wd. A sign is dark rust stain where the bearing cap fits the u-joint.

doggfather69
11-16-2011, 06:31 AM
That def, front U joints. My exerience is when one is bad the other is soon to go. Change both on the front axel.

vando002
11-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Has anyone ever changed these U-Joints themselves or at least removed the shafts themselves? I'm having the same issues and need to get it fixed soon. Just wondering if this is something that can be done easily on my own or if I should just bring it to the shop.

Thanks,

Adam

gsp2112
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
it can be done in the driveway somewhat easy....if you can do brakes and you can do drive shaft u joints you can do the axle joints i just did mine...be prepared to buy a 3/4 drive breaker bar and a 1 11/16 socket and a cheater pipe to remove the axle nuts (dont quote me on the socket size im not sure its right but will check it in the morning and repost the correct size) just make sure to reference mark the yokes and only drive the bearing caps HALF way out DO NOT drive them all the way out....or you will be grinding the ends off the u/joint to get it out of the yoke...trust me i learned that one the hard way....any more questions p.m me and i will help you any way i can...a few other things you will need is a sucker gun to remove and replace the grease in the hogs head and a GOOD vise is must have to do the joints....if you have a whimpy vise dont even bother you have to beat those jointts like a red headed step child to get them out if they havent been replaced before/ever and blaster spray is a must

gsp2112
12-07-2011, 04:29 PM
just checked my socket in the garage and it is 1 11/16 to fit the axle nuts on the 1500 not sure if it fits the 2500 or not

epors
08-15-2012, 12:11 PM
I need someone to tell me if I'm getting the shaft on this deal! I am trading in my 2002 Ford XLS explorer with 133,000 miles on it to a dealer. It is in great condition, but the dealer is only willing to give me $2000 for the trade in which is below fair condition. He stated that when the vehicle was in 4 wheel drive and you make a tight turn, it makes a noise and vibrates. It has always down this so I just take it out of 4 wheel when I'm parking or taking sharp turns. He states the U joints are bad! Don't believe him....is this normal for a 4 wheel drive vehicle?

Chris Stewart
08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
If it has universal joints connecting the axles to the hubs, you'll get wobble when turned to the steering lock.
If it has constant velocity joints (like you see on front wheel drive cars), you won't get the wobble.
Universal joints are generally open to the weather but constant velocity joints are covered with a flexible cover.

Add your comment to this topic!