97 Honda Accord starting issues

linc00'
11-05-2011, 11:39 PM
hello everyone i have a 97 accord that i am having issues with.
when i turn the key it does not crank luckily it is manual tranny so i jump start it. the battery is good i also put new terminals thinkin those were the issue but still havin problems. any tips will surely be helpful. thanks

FishFind
11-06-2011, 12:13 AM
check fuses first. then I would be checking the wires to the starter and the starter its self.
could also be ignition switch but I would check the others first

linc00'
11-06-2011, 09:38 AM
The car eventually starts so i dont think its fuses the problem happens sporadiclly i have also ruled out the switch since i have a remote start in the car. Do u know the location of the main relay? Is there a way to test it? Is there a way to test the wires goin to starter? Thanks in advance

FishFind
11-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I would check the wires first. Yon can test the wires. Get a volt meter and connect a 4-6 foot wire. Connect the wire to the neg side of the battery and then to the neg wire on the volt meter. connect the POS wire from the volt meter to the POS wire on the starter close to the starter as you can. turn the key see if you get 12v. To test the ground wire connect the 4-6foot wire to the pos side of the batt and then to the pos side of the volt meter. The connect the neg wire on the volt meter to the neg wire on the starter. You should also get 12v and do not need to turn the key to test the ground wire. for both test you should connect the volt meter as close to the starter as you can. I suggest use the terminals on the starter its self.

As far as a relay you have to check your owners man where it is located. I am not sure if you can test it but a lot of times you will have one that will run something that is not needed like the ac or something like that and you can just swap them to test it. You have to read the top of the relay and see if any are the same.

if all of that is good and you don't have a alarm on your car then I am guessing your starter is bad.

jeffcoslacker
11-11-2011, 12:14 AM
if that remote start is aftermarket you may wanna disable it and see if the problem goes away. I used to work in a shop and run a tow truck. If I had a nickel for every car I've seen that wouldn't start because an aftermarket security or remote start system went wonky....

Add your comment to this topic!