Page updated on 09-21-2017

Sell Chevy S10 PU & then fix 90 Honda Civ Hatchback?

OneInNorCal
11-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Should I Sell my Chevy S10 PU with (Camper Shell and functioning AC) and then Use the $ to Replace Engine in 90 Honda to get it running again?

I have a 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback base model that has been sitting in my driveway for the last 9 months.
I believe it needs engine replaced based on:
-210,000 miles {Yeah!) on engine AND
-Oil has leaked from engine block ever since crappy valve repair job 5 years ago AND
-Wont pass smog AND
-Over past year it began running rough, some smoke out exhaust and gas mileage was steadily declining. Quizzically, started running terribly terribly rough ever since I took possession of it after it's latest smog check (no repairs just a check which it failed) here in Calif.
I bought it new in 1990 and other than replacing cap and rotor every 2 years and the interior heater fan currently does not work, it has had no problems and no accidents.

When Honda failed smog 9 mos ago, my awesome,awesome boyfriend bought me a 1996 Chevy S10 PU w/camper shell for $2500, which, per previous owner (a friend of boyfriend) and receipts supplied had the following replaced 4-years ago:

-Engine - replaced with a 1996 recon Vege engine which now has 70k on it. (the vehicle itself has 170,000 miles per odometer).
-When engine was replaced four yrs ago so was the clutch, water pump, fuel injector, starter, heater core, an electric switch and wires and radiator hose.

I so so so miss driving my Honda: the handling, great mpg (33mpg at top-it's a v4) and passenger seating space of my Honda.
The Chevy S10 is cramped, is sluggish (v4), and gets a lowly 16mpg but I do like that it has: AC, a camper shell, two cell phone charger input thingys, and power steering.

Soooo,
1. Would it be advisable to sell the Chevy PU (purchased for $2500 & needs tires. The KBB is $2500 to $3500) and use proceeds to get Honda running? And if so, what are best quality sources for buying engine for my 90 Honda?

2. Are there any other considerations that I need to contemplate before moving forward with my decision?

Thank you so much,

Wilma from the Sonoma wine country, 60 mi north of San Fran, California.

Add your comment to this topic!