Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

torque converter selenoid

blazin911
11-05-2011, 03:51 PM
OK i bought my daughter a 2000 dodge neon and the ses light was on, so
i take it for a diagnostics test turns out the tcc selenoid is bad. so i buy a new one and installed it and i make my way to clear the code and once the code is cleared while in the park position all was fine but as soon as i put the vehicle in reverse BOOM! the light came on and its the same code OMG! can someone please tell me what this could possibly be any help would be so appreciated please someone help help help:banghead:

blazin911
11-05-2011, 04:50 PM
can a neutral saftey switch cause the same code as the tcc selenoid?

FishFind
11-05-2011, 11:24 PM
that is one pain in the ass code. is it a P0740

blazin911
11-06-2011, 11:37 AM
its po743

blazin911
11-06-2011, 11:38 AM
thanks for replying im very greatfull

FishFind
11-06-2011, 02:25 PM
P0743 is the Torque Converter Circuit Solenoid.The solenoid plug is on the front of the transmission and has a dark green/white and orange/black wire. The dark green/white should have 12V on it from fuse #10 when the ignition is on. The orange/black is a grounding wire from pin 79 of the powertrain controller which should only be grounded when the car is going over 45 mph or so. You could check that the wire is patent between the plug and the powertrain plug (near 0 ohms). The solenoid is a coil or wire so it would have a low, but non-0 resistance, maybe less than an ohm, but still not 0. To really test it you would need an impedence meter, but a good digital ohmmeter should show it to be slightly more resistance than is shown when you test the resistance of the meter leads themselves.If the resistance, the patency, and the 12V supply is all shown to be OK, then I would suspect the solenoid is not functing properly. If you are getting torque converter lock up when you accelerate slowly from 40 to 50 mph then it is working and the code is false.

FishFind
11-06-2011, 02:26 PM
P0743 is Torque converter clutch electrical.
It has nothing to do with the starter. The torque converter locks up electrical, and it isn't getting electricity to it. Could be a broken wire or a dirty connection. The last resort would be to pull the transmission pan and change the torque converter lockup control solenoid.

FishFind
11-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Most of the time it is a wire for it and not the solenoid its self.

blazin911
11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Thank you again for replying I changed the solenoid already and still have a code ima check the plug and wires. On another note I found a ground wire which was broke
It was on the frame inside the front left driver side and seems to me it goes to the tranny
would that cause that false code, cause the converter never locked up the car runs like a champ I'm dumbfounded again fishfind thank you for your support and knowledge

FishFind
11-06-2011, 09:32 PM
it could. I would fix it for sure. Are you noticing any of the symptoms of it not locking up?? No overdrive? car feels like it is starting in 3rd gear?

The TCC gets power from the cluster fuse then to the Ignition switch then to the tranny. Most of the time if you have one code only then I would guess that they are fine or you would have more codes for the other solenoids in the tranny not getting power. So you are left with the ground. The VCM commands the TCC on and off by providing a ground through the VCM. So it could be a short to ground that would make the TCC solenoid always on. it could also be the VCM.

FishFind
11-06-2011, 09:33 PM
P0743 is for a open or shorted circuit. It means either a it is not grounded or that a wire has broken or something has come unplugged. It is most likely underneath the car. Check the wires around the trannsmission make sure they are all connected.

blazin911
11-06-2011, 11:18 PM
OK I'm gonna connect that ground wire and check the rest its an automatic trans and the converter doesn't lockup it has overdrive it runs like a champ ill get back to you this afternoon

blazin911
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Again thanks for hanging in there for me you've been excellent help

blazin911
11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Hey buddy I'm back checked the wires and also replaced the neutral safety switch. And no luck I'm gonna go nuts I also fixed the broken ground wire. I'm lost any ideas let me know here's my # in case if you can give me a ring 484-553-3581 again thank you for your dedication my friend

blazin911
11-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Hey fishfind I went back to the drawing board and dug
a little deeper into the wiring harness and found the culprit
It was the ground wire being held together by the insulator. The break happened because
The wire from the neutral safety switch and the tcc are or wer taped to tight together
therefore stretching the insulator and causing a break internally I imagine the heat from the engine also played a part. Thank you for your help and time I'm greatfull
And owe a debt of gratitude to you and the forum.:iceslolan

FishFind
11-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Glad you fixed it. Sorry I was gone for a while, the whole fam got sick,

Add your comment to this topic!