Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

05 malibu gas problem

mrgaray
10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
i have a chevy malibu 2005 v6 and everytime i go to put gas it stops at 17 $$ and starts to spill..... wat could this be? do i have to drop the tank and see wats wrong?

wpbharry
11-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Some 2004 and 2005 Malibu and Maxx V6s do have faulty fuel tanks. My '04 had its dropped way back in '05 and replaced (for free by GM). GM knows about this issue. I'd be shocked though, 6 years after the fact that this is the case with yours. Unless it was only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays...

Johnny R
11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Unless it was only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays...
Yes, I knew a lady like that. She was never concerned about the price of gas going up. She just always put in $10.:grinyes:
(Sorry, I couldn't resist, even tho it does not help your problem.)

Tech II
11-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Are you saying that, even though your tank may be near empty, it will only take a few gallons?

Sounds like the vent system is not working properly....ran into this once with a Lucerne....replaced tank and still had a problem......ended up being the plastic lines on the tank, having a blockage....

a

wpbharry
11-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Now that I've had a day to think more about this (since it occurred to me 6 1/2 years ago), the reason why the fuel tank needed replacement had to do with the sending unit (I'm not a techie). Fuel guage was showing incorrect amount remaining and occasionally, I'd get a "Fuel Cap Ajar" warning in the DIC.

mrgaray
11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
well i have always token care of the care for the past 2yrs, lately i have the gas gauge act up telling me im empty wen i actually fill up the tank to full. i just paid more attention to the miles then i refuel wen i need it to...... would it be cheaper if i replace the tank myself and fuel pump or best if i take it to the dealer?

Add your comment to this topic!