Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'02 LS Driver Side Hub Assembly

vando002
10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
2002 LS V8 - 70k miles

I'm in the process of replacing a bunch of front end parts due to bad boots and looseness and brake pads. I spun the rotor with the brake caliper and pads off and noticed a clicking noise in the hub assembly. I tried the other side, and no clicking. Is this the sign of a failed hub?

Thanks,

shorod
10-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Did you check to make sure it wasn't rubbing on the water shield and that there wasn't a piece of grass or something rubbing on the inner stub? Assuming there's nothing foreign rubbing on the rotor or stub, it could be a failed wheel bearing or possibly a problem with the ABS sensor or tone ring.

-Rod

vando002
11-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Did you check to make sure it wasn't rubbing on the water shield and that there wasn't a piece of grass or something rubbing on the inner stub? Assuming there's nothing foreign rubbing on the rotor or stub, it could be a failed wheel bearing or possibly a problem with the ABS sensor or tone ring.

-Rod

Nothing foreign rubbing. As I spin the rotor faster, the clicking gets faster. If the hub comes off easily, I'll change it. If not, I'll move on. Thanks for the reply!

shorod
11-04-2011, 09:52 PM
If they use salt on the roads in Wisconsin like they do here in Iowa, the hub assembly probably will not come apart easily. If it does, then it's not a bad job to replace the hub/bearing assembly.

-Rod

vando002
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
If they use salt on the roads in Wisconsin like they do here in Iowa, the hub assembly probably will not come apart easily. If it does, then it's not a bad job to replace the hub/bearing assembly.

-Rod

I just went ahead and changed the hub assembly. Took only a few minutes to get it apart. I was fortunate to have recently purchased this car from someone who just moved up to IL from Florida. I've never worked on a car without rust, it's such a beautiful thing!!

Thanks for your help.

shorod
11-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Glad it worked out for you. Did the new hub solve the noise concern? It may be worth the effort to pull the other hub and put some anti-seize around the hub/bearing housing and on the mounting bolts so when/if it fails it won't be seized in place.

-Rod

vando002
11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
There is no more ticking when spinning the hub. Good idea on the other side, if I ever take the other side apart for any reason, I will do that. Right now I'm dealing with trying to remove the drivers side valve cover to do the gasket job as I have a lot of oil in the spark plug tubes causing coils to fail. The passenger side was easy, driver side...not so much.

Thanks,

Add your comment to this topic!