Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

weather stripping problems or door bent

bigT5
10-26-2011, 12:21 AM
my 1996 chevy cheyenne v8 has a problem with the driver side door. its only a regular cab but anyway im not sure if the door is bent or if I just need to replace the weather stripping. If I shut the door its like it doesn't close all the way or latch all the way can push it the rest of the way but it does'nt stay there also if I look up from the inside of my truck I can see a little light but only on the back part of the door on top but the cab doesn't seem to drafty what do you guys think

Schurkey
10-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Door bent

Cab bent

Hinges wiped out

Striker mis-positioned

Latch worn out

Weatherstrip out-of-place/stretched

bigT5
10-26-2011, 09:57 PM
how do I eliminate these things

Schurkey
10-27-2011, 05:42 AM
how do I eliminate these things
When MY truck had door problems, it was worn-out hinges. Common as dirt, especially on the driver's door. Grab the open door, lift up on the back edge. If the door lifts up with a "clunk" feeling, the hinges are toast. If the WHOLE CAB lifts up without any free-play in the door, the hinges are probably OK.

D-I-Y hinge repair kits are available at any "real" parts store; about $15 I think. In the Dorman "HELP" line. I had my hinges rebuilt by a body-shop; I think it was $45 but that was years ago. I knew a guy who made replacement hinge pins from small-block-Chevy valve stems, and just bought the bronze bushings separately. HIS hinge pins never wore out.

If the hinges are worn out and not repaired quickly, the striker and latch get beat-up. Then you have to replace them as well.

If the door or the cab is bent, you're looking at body shop time.

j cAT
10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
my 1996 chevy cheyenne v8 has a problem with the driver side door. its only a regular cab but anyway im not sure if the door is bent or if I just need to replace the weather stripping. If I shut the door its like it doesn't close all the way or latch all the way can push it the rest of the way but it does'nt stay there also if I look up from the inside of my truck I can see a little light but only on the back part of the door on top but the cab doesn't seem to drafty what do you guys think

door hinges wear out with these vehicless. I find it strange that just the slightest amount of hinge pin/bushing wear will prevent the door from closing properly. with the door about 1 inch from closing see if you can lift the door any amount. if it is slight it may be possible to adjust the frame latch..too much like 1/4 inch movement maybe not.

If you wait too long this can be expensive . pins / bushings are normally available. when the bushing bore is worn now your in trouble.

bigT5
11-24-2011, 04:30 PM
ok ill look at it thanks

Add your comment to this topic!