Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2011 Legacy Headlights & Homelink

Alphabravo
10-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi All,
I have a 2011 Legacy with the homelink rear-view mirror. The problem is, once we pull into the garage and turn the ignition off, there's no power to the mirror so it it won't shut the garage door. No problem, we just have to hit the button before we kill the engine, or hit the garage door button on the wall. But I'm a stickler. I say it is not a safe practice to close the garage door while the car is still runnning so I believe the mirror should have power at all times. Has anyone re-wired it to a hot-all-times circuit? Which did you use and how did you do it?

Also, we have the habit (mostly myslef, not my wife) to leave the keys in the ignition. It is parked in the garage, after all. Now, all you Subaru owners know that if you have automatic lights, they won't shut off if the keys are still in the ignition! This has caused a dead battery a couple times already. Has anyone modified that? It would be nice if lights would shut off when the ignition was turned off.

By comparison, I drive a Grand Caravan for work. The homelink is always on and even though it does not have automatic lights, if I forget them on, or even if I forget a dome light on, they would go out after a few minutes. No dead battery problems there.

If anyone has successfully modified their Subaru would you please share your solution?

Thanks in avance!

TDWPgtp
10-26-2011, 11:52 AM
to start, the engine DOES NOT need to be on to use the homelink. as long as the key is turned to so that everything is on (i believe the second click) the homelink will work. either way, parking your car in the garage and pressing the button before turning off the engine wont trap any exhaust.. the garage takes a few seconds to close anyway.

and as for the headlights, if you turn the end of the left stalk, you can turn the headlights off. just as long as you remember to turn them on and off, like in your caravan.

as far as mods go, im no help though. good luck either way

Add your comment to this topic!