Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 Cherokee Project Jeep

Marantz
10-22-2011, 01:40 AM
So I got my original 88 Jeep Cherokee back *Yaay!* but it has sat in a garage for the past 5 years and has really gone down hill.

First off, I need to put a new lift on it. I can handle this no problem...

The Performance and Comfort shift switch seems to do nothing, where do I even begin with this?
The 4x4 Indicator lights do not work at all, also when shifting to 4x4 Low it doesn't seem to engage at all, the Jeep feels like it is in low but power braking in sand shows its not in 4x4.

I have a lot of other little things to fix on it. :D I can tell the Jeep is happy to be back though, even after 5 years of sitting in a leaky collapsing garage, when I dropped a battery in it and turned it over it fired right away and ran fine to the gas station. I did plugs and an oil change right away and it starts every time. Super pumped to have this all put back together.

Saudade
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
The Performance and Comfort shift switch seems to do nothing, where do I even begin with this?

I guess it depends on whether it's in Comfort or Power all the time. It only changes the shift points. I have mine in Power all the time. The Power setting connects the BLK-YEL and TAN wires together.

The 4x4 Indicator lights do not work at all, also when shifting to 4x4 Low it doesn't seem to engage at all, the Jeep feels like it is in low but power braking in sand shows its not in 4x4. The light could be just the bulb.

Make sure your axle disconnect is working. It's vacuum operated and mybe you have a leak.

Add your comment to this topic!