Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Bonneville No Start No Fuel

lloydsllc
10-20-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a 97 Bonneville that is causing me problems. Someone ran it hot and cracked the heads so I replace the engine. Now it won't start. The fuel pump will not cut on and the injectors will not pulse. Everything I can think of has been checked. Fuse, Relay, Pump is good, Oil pressure sensor is working fine, I have fire, the security system doesn't flash like it was tripped. The only odd thing is the OBD II Connector won't read. Anyone have any ideas instead of what I just mentioned. Anything odd that would cut the power to the pump like trans sensor or low brake pressure anything. I don't know what else to try.

maxwedge
10-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Same year engine, are the injectors 12v powered? Does the sec. lite come on then go off? Sounds something may be disconnected in the harnesses also, lots of possibilities when changing an engine.

lloydsllc
10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes it is the same year engine and yes there is power at the injectors. Also the security light comes on with the switch and goes off after a few seconds. I understand that changing an engine can cause alot of different issues but I am looking at a specific issue. I am sure it is electrical just trying to find out what area.

Tech II
10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Well, if he has spark, it means ICM is receiving a crank signal....however, if the crank signal is not reaching the PCM, the injectors won't fire, and also, the PCM won't ground the fuel pump relay.....Could be bad ICM or connection at the ICM? When you swapped engine, did the new engine come with an ICM? Try swapping your old one, if this is the case....

lloydsllc
10-31-2011, 01:36 PM
The ICM is good but I swapped them anyway and still didn't help. I even changed the wire hareness on the ICM but nothing there either. Read someewhere the cam sensor may not let the fuel pump come on so will check that next.

Tech II
10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
No, the cam sensor has nothing to do with the fuel pump....in order for the fuel pump to be grounded the PCM has to receive an rpm(reference) signal from the ICM........even without a cam signal, the injectors would fire, with only a one in six chance of firing correctly, sequentially....

Have you checked power and ground to the ICM?

Have you checked power and ground to the PCM?

A scan tool would show you if you are receiving a reference signal....

Checked for codes?

lloydsllc
11-02-2011, 04:20 PM
It was the ECM. Someone mentioned it to me and I guess my first clue should have been that the OBD II did not want to read. Got an ECM with the same Serial number as the one in the vehicle from a junk yard and the car fired right up.

Add your comment to this topic!