Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Loss of power

spalko004
10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
I have 95lx wagon with 267k miles, this morning while i was cruising down a hill it suddenly loss power, but since i have a manual tranny i put it on second gear and rev it but it did it hesitates so i left it. I replace the fuel filter, sparkplugs and clean the maf sensor but it still give erratic idling and no power to at least put it on second gear? Anyone experienced this?

AzTumbleweed
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
I wonder if the timing belt has slipped? I'd also check the vacuum and the spark plug wires.

spalko004
10-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I wonder if the timing belt has slipped? I'd also check the vacuum and the spark plug wires.

Timing belt is ok, replaced plugs and fuel filter. What i noticed i think there is a lot of air coming out from the exhaust manifold area, is it possible that the gasket is broken thats why the idling is so poor and doesnt want give power?

AzTumbleweed
10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
You might try some new spark plug wires. If possible check the vacuum. A low reading might indicate a clogged catalytic convertor. The only thing I can think of about the air blowing around the exhaust manifold is that it's from the cooling fan on the radiator.

spalko004
10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
i think you're right its the converter. i'll try to find one tomorrow... thx!

Intuit
10-27-2011, 09:34 AM
AZ didn't exactly say that was THE problem... only suggested testing for vacuum leakage; which in can also find exhaust restriction if there is one. However, vacuum leaks are far, far more likely than an exhaust restriction. Properly read gauge will indicate either problem.

In most cases, spark plugs only need to be re-gapped rather than replaced. New spark plugs may also need to be adjusted per the 0.054" gap spec. A low-RPM miss under high engine load is a common problem with plug wires. Hotter the engine, the higher the resistance, the worse the problem. With such a situation, feathering the pedal at low-RPM, then mashing on it at higher RPMs, will avoid the missing.

Exactly how did you check the timing belt ? Reason I ask is some folk will peep at the top of it through the timing cover, see it's intact, see it move and then conclude it's fine. Insufficient. They often strip teeth instead of snapping. Timing marks can be verified as on-point via removing the damper; also an opportunity for closer inspection of the belt.

If your exhaust valves are cracked open when ignition occurs, this in theory can accelerate exhaust gases; wouldn't be any more or less exhaust, just faster and more choppy.

zzyzzx2
10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Exactly how did you check the timing belt ? Reason I ask is some folk will peep at the top of it through the timing cover, see it's intact, see it move and then conclude it's fine. Insufficient. They often strip teeth instead of snapping. Timing marks can be verified as on-point via removing the damper; also an opportunity for closer inspection of the belt.

I agree. When my timing belt tensioner went bad, the belt still looked fine.

spalko004
10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Well just to update you all i already fix it, i cleaned the converter by saoking it in a bucket of water and detergent overnight. Saw it at the internet tried it before buying a new converter since its order basis, it works...! Thx to all who replied...

AzTumbleweed
10-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for letting us know the outcome :-)

Add your comment to this topic!