Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 4runner brake warning light glows dimly.

4Runner03
10-15-2011, 07:52 AM
I have a 2003 V8 4WD SR5. It has 109K miles and I replaced the pads and rotors and front calipers about 8-10K ago. Since then it has been doing fine in the brake department.

This morning, the brake warning light (the parking brake light) came on about half illuminated. The parking brake is not on and when I press the parking brake it illuminates fully. The other warning lights associated with the brake system (VSC TRAC OFF, VSC OFF, and ABS) are not illuminated. The fluid is at the max line, if not a bit above.

Given this info, I don't believe there is a major problem or else it would actually be fully illuminated and the other lights would be on as a result of the brake light. I am just curious what is causing this issue and how to fix it. Thanks.

Dunerider600
11-10-2011, 02:25 PM
4runnner03,

i get this very problem with my 01' Tacoma. i solved it by adjusting the parking brake, and also sometimes the park brake on/off switch goes bad.

fourwd1
11-13-2011, 12:08 AM
If the MC fluid level is OK (the most likely cause) make sure the parking brake is adjusted correctly and the switch in the control handle works correctly.

Add your comment to this topic!