Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Are BMW drivers assholes?

Pages : [1] 2

2strokebloke
05-31-2003, 05:46 PM
A long long time ago, at another forum far away - somebody posted a thread with the topic title Why does driving a BMW force you to drive like an asshole?
Since then I began watching, and noticed that people who own BMWs do indeed seem to drive like assholes.
Now what prompted me to write this post, was that today just while getting onto highway on-ramp, some asshole in a silver BMW sedan, fails to yield and almost runs me off the road (I had to slam on my brakes) the he proceeds to cut off another person (still on the on-ramp!)

The most common form of "assholery" BMW owners engage in is the "sudden lane change for no apparent reason with out use of turn signals" Followed closely by the "sudden lane change for no apparent reason without use of turn signals while going twenty miles per hour over the speed limit."
Another one is "cutting off another driver 20 feet before the highway off-ramp for no apparent reason other than to certify that they are an asshole"
"Failure to yield because I'm an asshole" and "Failure to stop at the stopsign because I'm an asshole" are two more common offenses of the BMW driver.
The there's the "I'm an asshole, get out of my way, I'm tailgating you for no apparent reason" and the "I'm passing you like an asshole over the double yellow line only to get in front of you and maintain the speedlimit like an asshole would"

For all you non-asshole BMW drivers out there, I commend you. I'm not saying that ALL BMW drivers are assholes, I know from experience, and after ecountering hundreds of BMW drivers on the road that at least 2 out of every 300 BMW drivers do not drive like assholes.

Please vote on the poll.

Toksin
05-31-2003, 06:50 PM
I have also seen a lot of BMW drivers who seem to think the indicators are just for decoration....

Hopefully I won't be that bad when I get my E30 :(

Sierra Six
05-31-2003, 07:14 PM
Indicators are there only as a buffer for when you run others off the road.

..Did I just say that outloud? :D

gigatron
05-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Well my paps when I was younger a long time ago owned a really tuned 323i bimmer ;) He is a very good driver, he used to race yes, but he would most likely bad mouth people who drive carelessly in traffic especially in say a city. He just used his best rationale if you will I dunno its just hard to explain.

The only reason he tuned the car was because he wanted to feel like he had a low budget ferrari ;) (His dream car has been always a lotus esprit). He'd race his buddies who had also tuned cars but they'd do it on the highway (which were curvy too) but this was when we lived in Libya, North Africa. The roads are better then the German autobahn (glass race tracks lol, built by the Germans at higher quality -- due to weather conditions). Plus there were times when there was no one on the road for various reasons so it was almost all to themselves. Plus when coming back from work (there were different work times) they got their chance heh.

Hmm the only people I've witnessed drive like total idiots in bimmers were younger people (I am very young so no stereotyping lol). I don't see many so.. I dunno. Most people around here are old guys who drive bimmers anyway haha...

Most guys who drive wrecklessly or who build up an attitude seem to be honda drivers (no offense to the honda community this could very well be just my city/area). Two friends became anti-friends once they got their hondas lol.. they were .. well don't wana bad mouth them, but their attitude changed I felt a bit disapointed in some ways :/ Ah well.. I think it's just coincidences.. the car someone drives doesn't necessarily define their assholery heh. It's one's goal when they drive and character they build or something like that...

What I see generally now around in my environment here in Canada where I am is.. basically this.. Every stop light everyone looks each other and pumps full throttle and boom fly off. LoL ok not everyone.. but its like a daily thing. Yes, I'm not denying my paps does that still but.. it's just different :/ Everyone's really agressive the goal is to show off in the majorest way and I think as young'uns the testesterone level is real high and that's what happens and where you get the idiots. Hell I admit it I would probably be a slight idiot at least a bit with my buddies but.. then somehow wouldn't I dunno..

So again it's not really a car thing.. it's just who's behind the wheel. The character and motive is what determines the driving. Are you driving to get from point a to b.. maybe to c as well and then backwards lol.. or are you driving to show off. Ah well I mumble too much :D

HogieGT-R
05-31-2003, 09:53 PM
i voted no because my cousin owns a 318ti and she doesn't drive like an asshole nor is she one
my former driving school instructor drives an X5 and he doesn't drive like one

Jimster
06-01-2003, 06:03 AM
What the hell are those amber things on the top corner of the 5-series rear end anyway :confused:

I have also noticed a high number of assholes driving SL Merc's as well No car is free from them :(

Amish_kid
06-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Yeah I know what you are saying and it just isn't Bmw driver's most every car with high value has an asshole behind the wheel, I don't know they must not think that regular rules apply to them and that " Hey Asshole this is a $100,000 vehicle so stay the fuck out of my way!" must be what is constantly running through their brain and spewing out of their mouths. Ohh well at the end of the day I'm still happy knowing that my dong is bigger than theirs. :D

slave
06-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Bloodyhell, look at the sterotypes fly about the post. So all the people with money or a Bavarian Motor Works badge drive like arseholes huh?? So why doesn't my best friend? She drives a BMW Z8, I guess she missed the asshole licensing day, because she more than fits your criteria to be one.

gigatron
06-01-2003, 11:45 PM
chill out :) Or you'll be a whatever car asshole. lol jk. Take it easy :) It doesn't matter what car is in question. I bet most of us don't know Mr. Bean ever owned a McLaren F1 and owns many other super cars we probably assume he only has that mini morris lol.. anywho. It depends on goal, motive, character and attitude inside the driver not the vehicle. I've seen rich old folks drive 20KM/h in a brand spanking new Benz that cost 200grand but hell..

slave
06-01-2003, 11:49 PM
lol, or the fact that Rowan Atkinson bought it so he could be seen arriving in style to the birthday gathering of Prince Charles. Damn I'd love to buy a car like that just for a party.

Jimster
06-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by slave
Bloodyhell, look at the sterotypes fly about the post. So all the people with money or a Bavarian Motor Works badge drive like arseholes huh?? So why doesn't my best friend? She drives a BMW Z8, I guess she missed the asshole licensing day, because she more than fits your criteria to be one.

a Z8!!!!! WOAH!!! Nice, how the hell did she get one of those in to Oztralia???:eek:

2strokebloke
06-02-2003, 06:26 PM

Well if she engages in asshole like driving (lane changes without blinkers, etc,) and drives a BMW, then she does fit my definition of an asshole-BMW-driver. Otherwise she is either just an asshole, or a BMW driver.

Ssom
06-02-2003, 06:31 PM
lol- BMW drivers aren't the only ones- I notice that people in Skylines, Mercs, Honduh's and Rotary Mazdas have a high number of assholes behind the wheel in comparision to the number of drivers of the cars

Jay!
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
On the freeway, all I see are assholes, in each and every car....

Haibane
06-03-2003, 09:39 AM
What would make these BMW drivers classified as that, cause I at sometimes am a BMW driver, we own 2 so...

gigatron
06-03-2003, 07:50 PM
:rolleyes: The poll is for yes so far lol.. sad :p there are two honda driver attitudes i see, asshole and pussy. Just my town of what i've seen :p By asshole well not necessarily asshole but they TRY to be assholes and they try to act tough lol.. ah well :p Its kinda fun.. depends its just a testesterone thing ;) I'm a guy and all but like just chill' lol.. control yourself.. Most guys who own bimmers are old guys, and like who drive it crappy and assholery like are like .. 2/10 in my town :P

slave
06-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Jimster

a Z8!!!!! WOAH!!! Nice, how the hell did she get one of those in to Oztralia???:eek:

Her dad imported three of them. She bought one.

2strokebloke
06-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Someting tells me I should have used this on april fools, instead of that stupid prank (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=95564&highlight=april+fools+important) I pulled...

Prelewd
06-03-2003, 09:23 PM
No asshole BMW drivers yet..

Most I've seen around here are women and old men with leather gloves on out for the joy of driving.

jon@af
06-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by jay@af

And I thought I was the only one.

boingo82
06-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Apparently indicators are an option on many new cars, as about 50%-75% of the cars I see don't have them. Strange...:huh:

crayzayjay
06-06-2003, 09:02 AM
It’s too easy to say BMW drivers are assholes. Id read many times that some bmw drivers got to drive the way they do because of the way they are treated on the road themselves. We didn’t get much hassle when we had our 5-series so I didn’t really give this much thought… until more recently. My neighbour’s dad sells cars for a living, and they often have nice shiny new cars in their drive. I went for a cruise with his son, who’s around my age, so i could test drive a 330ci sport convertible (i was contemplating whether or not to buy one - a coupe) and have also driven their M5, and from these experiences, let me tell you this:
1. we got shitty looks from taxi drivers / the infamous white van man / and most tellingly, professionally dressed people in decent cars
2. no one would let me out of junctions, especially in the convertible
3. i got cut up on several occasions, which never happens in my Golf
4. finally, i was called a "fucking fag" at a traffic light by some idiot next to me, which let me just say im far from it, along with "cruising in daddy's car, are we?", which funnily enough was fairly accurate, but totally uncalled for...

… overall the pleasure of driving these two wonderful cars and the looks we got from chicks - :D - easily overcame these irritations but they are certainly there, and they manifested themselves almost every time I drove the cars or was going somewhere with my neighbour… he has a 320 coupe and tells me he gets that kind of crap all the time. My colleague at work has an E46 M3 and gets a lot of shit from people on the road, which thankfully he can put the hammer down and they simply disappear… which probably pisses them off even more… the truth is there are a lot of assholes out there, some bmw drivers and some not, but what I do know for sure is that there is a lot of jealousy towards bmw owners, that is very difficult to dispute… and you know what, it’s a bitch to deal with.

YogsVR4
06-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by jay@af

Only when they moon :bloated:

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

2strokebloke
06-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Well I know that certainly assholes are not confined to BMWs, second and probably far more deadly are asshole woman drivers in SUVs (And yes I can honestly say that everytime I've seen an SUV speeding and cutting people off without using the blinkers - it was a woman behind the wheel)
But seriously, assholes seem to be attracted to BMWs (or BMWs turn their drivers into assholes) Nearly everytime I've been in an accident trying to make a left turn, it's been because some asshole in their asshole BMW suddenly apears from behind the slower moving traffic, and then speeds at least 20 miles over the limit right when I begin turning into the intersection (and this exact same thing has happened so often it's begining to get creepy) Perhaps he was escaping from people who were insulting him for driving a BMW? - who knows? I just know that they were driving like assholes.

Prelewd
06-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Q: what's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

A: on a BMW, the prick's on the inside..

ha... ha... ha... anyway...

Not to big of a bastard BMW problem in washington. I know what it's like to get shit for driving a nice car. I washed my dad's jag, went for a drive, and was yelled at by some guy in a mid 80's hyundai for being a daddy's boy or some shit like that. like crayzayjay said, uncalled for.

it seems to me like a jealousy issue. i'm just sorry the people that do that kind of thing can't get off their ass and earn themselves a BMW. it might be tough, but it's not impossible.

crayzayjay
06-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Its stupid to think everyone's jealous of BMW - the company and the people who drive its cars - but look at it this way, i just went into a non-bmw forum here on AF and deleted yet another idiotic "BMW - A car for people who no self respect! ! ! ! " thread that was bashing every bmw driver in the world... this kind of hate doesnt materialise without a significant amount of jealousy towards something/someone. That in my view is indisputable

2strokebloke
06-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Perhaps for many people, but my dislike materializes out of just how little respect the majority of BMW drivers give other drivers on the road, which is not only stupid, but can be dangerous (the asshole who didn't yield when he was supposed to could have easily caused a large accident!)
Being jealous of a BMW owner would seem to be a stupid reason for not liking them in general, but people who drive like assholes just piss me off.

crayzayjay
06-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 2strokebloke

Being jealous of a BMW owner would seem to be a stupid reason for not liking them in general

.. and there are many stupid people on the road :wink:

Dorikin
06-08-2003, 02:06 PM
My dad got a 530, and I find although he drives a bit more agressive, hes not a bad driver(doesnt cut anyone off, etc.)

SUV drivers are the worst....And rice boys

Prelewd
06-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Dorikin
My dad got a 530, and I find although he drives a bit more agressive, hes not a bad driver(doesnt cut anyone off, etc.)

SUV drivers are the worst....And rice boys

don't forget minivan moms..

gigatron
06-08-2003, 08:31 PM
WOW and the poll is 9 to 8.

LI Lady
06-08-2003, 08:34 PM
I voted yes, but, I think Mini-Van driver's are the worst. :swear: :rofl:

craigb
06-29-2003, 07:04 PM
I've always suspected they are, the way they tend to drive 1 feet from the back of my ford station wagon (And no, I'm NOT a left lane hog, this is when I'm in the right lane, and driving at about the speed limit) until today however I never gave it much thought.

While riding my mountain bike in a park today, a BMW driver, driving a BMW silver something yelled to me "get the f*** out of the way you f****** asshole"

- This is while I'm riding my mountain bike in a park !!, with other cyclists and roller bladers, it wasnt on the highway.

I'm not a hard-core auto-enthusiast, so I don't know the exact model of the car he was driving, other than it was a silver sporty looking bmw.

So, I'm definately leaning toward yes, BMW drivers/owners are selfish, superficial assholes who think because they choose to spend their money on luxury cars it makes them better people than everyone else and more deserving of space / air / life / etc than the rest of us.

Well, I hope people like this get what they deserve. and what they deserve isnt fine cars.

Dorikin
06-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by craigb
I've always suspected they are, the way they tend to drive 1 feet from the back of my ford station wagon (And no, I'm NOT a left lane hog, this is when I'm in the right lane, and driving at about the speed limit) until today however I never gave it much thought.

While riding my mountain bike in a park today, a BMW driver, driving a BMW silver something yelled to me "get the f*** out of the way you f****** asshole"

- This is while I'm riding my mountain bike in a park !!, with other cyclists and roller bladers, it wasnt on the highway.

I'm not a hard-core auto-enthusiast, so I don't know the exact model of the car he was driving, other than it was a silver sporty looking bmw.

So, I'm definately leaning toward yes, BMW drivers/owners are selfish, superficial assholes who think because they choose to spend their money on luxury cars it makes them better people than everyone else and more deserving of space / air / life / etc than the rest of us.

Well, I hope people like this get what they deserve. and what they deserve isnt fine cars.

Drive a BMW, and you wont talk bad, or think people who buy them are superficial

The Ultamite Driving Machine

Its only yuppies who want stus symbols who suck

My dad worked his whole life to afford a 530i, and for good reason. its ont of thje best sedans in the world

buymeabmwm3
07-15-2003, 08:19 AM
I drive a bimmer in Detroit, and I think I'm the only sane one on the road. And btw, I hate this place. Never seen worse drivers or worse roads. And I'm from Jersey.

bigredwolf
07-15-2003, 04:54 PM
don't forget minivan moms..

I voted yes, but, I think Mini-Van driver's are the worst.

LOL!! It takes all kinds. I've seen a lot of inconsiderate drivers on the road, regardless of make, model, or color.

Oh yeah, and I drive a Mini-Van.

zenongurl
07-20-2003, 09:15 PM
[i think people that drive expensive cars think they own the road. Its a money issue so they think they can drive and act like assholes, like they have the power to.

slave
07-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by zenongurl
[i think people that drive expensive cars think they own the road. Its a money issue so they think they can drive and act like assholes, like they have the power to.

Its a money issue? Please. My little Amy has one of these http://www.autovisie.nl/download/desktops/bmw_z8_800.jpg

And she's far from an asshole and has no feelings of owning the road at all. A lot of people in this thread need to sit back and look at their tall poppy style stereotypical crap.

Dorikin
07-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Word.

I should start a thread, are Honda drivers assholes, cuz some lil rice boy in his Civic(3ft. high wing, primered bodykit, steel wheels) cut me off after tailgating me?

Come on, this is rediculous you'll find assholes anywhere. Now if you excuse me, Im going to enjoy the Ultamite Driving Machine

2strokebloke
07-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Amy drives one hell of an ugly car.
But seriously, the thread was meant to be a semi-joke, so take it with a grain of salt. T'was me letting off a little steam after an asshole in a BMW failed to yield and nearly caused an accident - then proceeded to drive like an asshole cutting people off and speeding. It's one of the few time in my life that I wished somebody would've suffered a flat tire so I could "help" them across the face with a tire iron.
I would agree that in general, SUV drivers are worse, as they speed and tailgate, but I've rarely been cut off by one, so it's less infuriating. Interesting though, everytime I've been tailgated by an SUV or BMW, it was a women behind the wheel...

slave
07-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Amy drives one hell of an ugly car.

Lol, uh, yugo? Need I say more? :rolleyes: lol.

Prelewd
07-21-2003, 07:17 PM

Lol, uh, yugo? Need I say more? :rolleyes: lol.

To each his own.

slave
07-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Yeah I know that, its all in fun man!

cusky ss
07-21-2003, 09:36 PM
there was a road rage survey done here a couple years ago and the bmw drivers tended to be the biggest pricks when it came to the common courtesy stuff like waving and crap, so yes, f*ck you bimmer drivers, not waving to me when i let your stupid ass in :swear:

Dorikin
07-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Fuck you Honda drivers for cutting me off and tapping bumpers and flashing high-beams.

Im sure you dont do it, but you drive a Honda, just as I am curteous, and drive a BMW.

Prelewd
07-23-2003, 03:02 PM
You know what? Maybe there's a reason for cutting you off. Maybe YOU are the asshole for driving 5 under in the left hand lane, or maybe YOU are the asshole for having your blinker on for 5 miles and then finally deciding to change lanes as we figure you are just an idiot for not turning it off. How about turning off the off-ramp and then deciding this isn't your exit and merge back onto the freeway at 25 MPH. How about slowing down on the freeway before your off-ramp.

How about this: Maybe YOU are the asshole?

*This post was not directed at anyone here in particular, except for those that do the forementioned acts of stupidity and anything else that causes blinding road rage.

TexasF355F1
07-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Prelewd
You know what? Maybe there's a reason for cutting you off. Maybe YOU are the asshole for driving 5 under in the left hand lane, or maybe YOU are the asshole for having your blinker on for 5 miles and then finally deciding to change lanes as we figure you are just an idiot for not turning it off. How about turning off the off-ramp and then deciding this isn't your exit and merge back onto the freeway at 25 MPH. How about slowing down on the freeway before your off-ramp.

*This post was not directed at anyone here in particular, except for those that do the forementioned acts of stupidity and anything else that causes blinding road rage.
:iagree: :1:

Dorikin
07-23-2003, 03:31 PM

You know what? Im very young. I cannot afford to cause acidents, piss people off, etc. I dont have my own car, insurance is very high, and I dont want to get into bad habits.

As far as I know, its illegal to drive in the left hand lane, I only put my blinker on to get a fair amount of notice Im chaging lanes, and the way the off-ramps are situated, I cant merge back unless I want to plow the car into those water-filled cylinders.

This thread makes me sick.

2strokebloke
07-23-2003, 03:32 PM

Would all seem fine and dandy, but if you read the first post in this thread, you'd know already that to be an asshole you have to cut off somebody for no apparent reason, usually while going 20 over the speed limit. Truthfully, watch BMW drivers on the highway, you'll see it all the time.
There's no reason, ever, to not use the blinkers. (and not using them makes you an asshole, regardless of what you're driving)

Dorikin
07-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Why do people hate BMW drivers? Sure, there are some morons, but you will find that with any type of car, no?

I know my dad bought the BMW, not to have a status symbol, but because its the best sedan in its class(if not the world).

I find 7 series and X5 drivers to be the worst out of all BMW drivers though.

Prelewd
07-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Everyone seems to be getting the wrong impression from the blinker statement. I'm talking about the people that drive with it on constantly, or forget to turn it off might be a more understandable sentence. You sit there and sit there and sit there, and they don't move over. Once you do decide to pass them, it's time for them to get over and they get all pissy about it.

I don't cut people off for no reason.. in fact, I'd have to have a DAMN GOOD reason to do so. Like if some asshole damn near causes an accident.

Just the other day, the company I work for as a web designer was telling me about some asshole that decided to merge back on the freeway from a dead stop in front of one of their truck and trailers. This caused the driver to jackknife the trailer, almost cause a multiple car accident, and caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to the trailer. The driver of the car didn't stop at all. THIS IS THE KIND OF PERSON THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT OFF.

I don't know about your off ramps, but we give our idiots the freedom to merge back on.. at least for a little while. Oh, and it's not illegal to drive in the left lane here.

Seriously, come on now..

Dorikin
07-24-2003, 06:02 PM
I noticed today...

I belive myself and my dad are the only BMW drvers who signal...

ugly kid jon
07-29-2003, 06:35 PM

Would all seem fine and dandy, but if you read the first post in this thread, you'd know already that to be an asshole you have to cut off somebody for no apparent reason, usually while going 20 over the speed limit. Truthfully, watch BMW drivers on the highway, you'll see it all the time.
There's no reason, ever, to not use the blinkers. (and not using them makes you an asshole, regardless of what you're driving)

The only assholes I see are those mediocre assholes pushing Yugos.

2strokebloke
07-29-2003, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I hate those kind of assholes too. i prefer to drive my Yugo. :biggrin2: - jackass.

Jimster
07-30-2003, 03:25 AM
Yeah, I hate those kind of assholes too. i prefer to drive my Yugo. :biggrin2: - jackass.

As an ex-Yugo owner I'd like to step in with a little :owned:

ugly kid jon
07-30-2003, 11:04 AM

you're the first Yugo owner Ive seen that drives his yugo :thefinger you asshole

ugly kid jon
07-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jimster

As an ex-Yugo owner I'd like to step in with a little :owned:

You're the same mediocre jerk as the previous one, driving those shitty Italian cars that are so bad they aren't even sold in the US, mediocre

freakray
07-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ugly kid jon

You're the same mediocre jerk as the previous one, driving those shitty Italian cars that are so bad they aren't even sold in the US, mediocre

Don't plan on staying for too long?

2strokebloke
07-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Ugly, something tells me you should own a BMW. (something also tells me to tell you that insulting moderators is not a smart idea)

Dorikin
07-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Ugly, something tells me you should own a BMW. (something also tells me to tell you that insulting moderators is not a smart idea)

WTF is up with all this BMW hating?? Honestly, Ive seen more assholes in everyday cars than BMWs(bar X5 drivers, they suck)

Add your comment to this topic!