Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Possible fuel pump problem

astrovankyle
10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a 2000 Astro passenger. When attempting to start the vehicle, starter just turns over seems to not be getting fuel. A couple shots of starter into the intake gets it started. When driving down the road and giving it the gas to say pass a car, seems to choke up/stall. If I just give it a slow increasing pedal, it will get up to say 60 mph, possibly more. Was told to have catalytic checked. Had hole cut in first unit and it exhausted fine. So not an exhaust pressure issue. Was then told by mechanic that I need a new fuel pump unit. Big price on that one. In researching, I find there are rebuild kits, even down to a pump intake sock to the pump.

Question: Think it is the pump? Do I need the whole pump unit? Just possible blockage from a dirty intake sock, or even if it is get the whole unit with everything for 49.00 shipped and put a whole new unit in and be done with it. Thanks all that answer this problem for me.

brcidd
10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Astro vans were built for 20 years- would be good to know which one you have-- probably a high pressure system--multi-port etc...I use my "pump in a bucket" to prove/disprove your issue.

What is your EOKO (engine off key on) fuel pressure? probably not enough.

Don't put a piece of junk in your tank-- use only new quality parts.

drew300
10-12-2011, 12:15 PM
My '97 had a weak pump. If it started, it ran fine. I was told it needed a MINIMUM of 60 psi to start. I had 59. I replaced the pump with an aftermarket one. It's still fine after 5yrs or so.
(GM wanted $875.00 for one in a box)
You should check your fuel filter. (it's pretty cheap) If you know electrics, i measured the current draw of the old original pump at the fuel pump relay, in the fuse box. My old one was about 5 amp draw, not enough. The replacement is 10 amps. Also, the connector at the pump is know to burn from the high amperage. That can cause a problem too. If you can, drive it until the tank is low. It's pretty heavy to drop it.

Add your comment to this topic!