Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engines that Time Forgot

knightjp
10-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I was reading an article I stumbled on about American engines called "Engines that Time Forgot (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1101phr_engines_that_time_forgot/viewall.html)"...

Great article but I can't help but believe that there are more American engines out there that didn't make it into the article...
Anyone care to mention or enlighten us???

jon@af
10-08-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm just glad the 3.8L Turbo V6 is on there. I am baffled that there were so few cars built with this powertrain given it's power and potential. Granted, GM later moved to the superchargers, but those turbocharged models were forces to be reckoned with when they were on the road. I long for the day that I own a turbo Buick.

Moppie
10-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't say time forgot about the Buick V8 and V6.
The little Rover motors lasted into this century thanks to Range Rover and the V6 had a very successful life thanks to GM and Holden, only being replaced by the new global engine in 2005.

jon@af
10-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't say time forgot about the Buick V8 and V6.
The little Rover motors lasted into this century thanks to Range Rover and the V6 had a very successful life thanks to GM and Holden, only being replaced by the new global engine in 2005.

I don't disagree, though I think the turbo variation, which I believe was DOHC, came and passed relatively quickly (3 years or so) in terms of production. Before the supercharged variations, they were simply SOHC. Still great engines, though.

NINFan
10-09-2011, 12:00 AM
What about the Dodge slant 6?! Couldn't kill those things if you tried.

knightjp
10-09-2011, 02:47 AM
What about the Dodge slant 6?! Couldn't kill those things if you tried.
I never heard about that at all... Would like to know more.. :)

OK... What about the V8s???? Any specific V8 that has been totally forgotten except for the AMCs in the article???

NINFan
10-09-2011, 06:32 AM
I never heard about that at all... Would like to know more.. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Slant-6_engine

MagicRat
10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
That article mentions engines that were in wide production for many years, so I would not say they are "forgotten" at all.
What about the V8s???? Any specific V8 that has been totally forgotten except for the AMCs in the article???

If you want to get really obscure, try the Packard V8. A design unique to Packard, this OHV cast iron V8 was in production in 1955 and '56 only. At the time it was superior to almost everything else at the time, an excellent, powerful, reliable and compact design, in 352 and 374 cid sizes.

They were only removed from production when Packard merged with Studebaker, and production of unique Packards stopped. The Packard name continued for a few years more, but as badge-engineered Studebakers.

For that matter, the Studebaker V8 is also "forgotten". Studebaker was one of the earliest makers of post-war V8's, (1951 through 1964, as I recall). These were reliable but a little heavy and (for the time) relatively small displacement. But they were supercharged in the early 1960's at the factory and moved out quite well.

knightjp
10-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Its really sad that when doing rebuilds or hot-rods, most people these days opt for SBCs or LS engines...
You see more articles on the LS3 mods and SBC mods than you do for the new Hemis or Modular Ford engines.
Probably because the aftermarket is more for GM engines than the others.. But for once I'd like to hear of a rebuild where one of these lost gems are being used...
Why should we only remember them for the Engine Masters Challenge only... ???
Like the Boss 9 engine... I never knew that Ford had made a Hemi of their own until it was featured by Jon Kaase..

squekyj
10-11-2011, 08:25 AM
what about theolder model chevy 283 small block engines .. i had two of those and they where the best lil engines .. power of a 350 and short stroke to be able to rev farther and just all around tough engines... i know all chevy small blocks are the same block size but maybe the bore and stroke kept these lil engines tough .. i donno but i miss them..:runaround::crying:

knightjp
10-16-2011, 02:38 AM
what about theolder model chevy 283 small block engines .. i had two of those and they where the best lil engines .. power of a 350 and short stroke to be able to rev farther and just all around tough engines... i know all chevy small blocks are the same block size but maybe the bore and stroke kept these lil engines tough .. i donno but i miss them..:runaround::crying:
Sorry Squekyj,
But the small block Chevys, whatever size, are legendary and aren't forgotten. Oh sure the 283s may not be spoken of as much as 350s, but the name "Small Block Chevy" is the goto guide for engine swaps all around. Now the new LS engines have succeeded them, but still SBCs aren't totally dead.
This thread is about remembering engines that most of us have never heard of at all; that were also advanced and great engines of their time, but hardly spoken of in the automotive circle.

zivt
10-21-2011, 11:00 AM
i want to get ready a engine for my assembling purpose so please tell some engine model which will bear all the parts that will be added to that even

knightjp
10-21-2011, 03:28 PM
i want to get ready a engine for my assembling purpose so please tell some engine model which will bear all the parts that will be added to that even
You need to clarify for what purpose you're building / assembling an engine. A project car, etc.... The reason is, as far as engines go, you need to specify what kind of engine, V8, V6, I6, 4 cylinder; whether American, German, Japanese, etc...

B_savage
10-22-2011, 09:08 PM
How about the SHO engines? 3.0 24v DOHC V6, 3.2 24v DOHC V6, 3.4 32v DOHC V8.
Great engines built by Yamaha Racing for Ford to put into their new mid engine sports car built to replace the DiTomasso Pantera and challenge Corvettes. Unfortunately Ford never built this car except for a few prototypes that look like something Ferrari built, but they already had thousands of these engines already built and nothing to do with them. So they decided to put it into their best selling car at the time, the Taurus. The Taurus SHO (super high output) came in 3 generations. They came equipped with the MTX 5-speed transmission built by Mazda Racing. Great car for anyone wanting to put people to shame in a sedan. It will beat any Mustang pre 2005.

knightjp
10-23-2011, 12:31 AM
How about the SHO engines? 3.0 24v DOHC V6, 3.2 24v DOHC V6, 3.4 32v DOHC V8.
Great engines built by Yamaha Racing for Ford to put into their new mid engine sports car built to replace the DiTomasso Pantera and challenge Corvettes. Unfortunately Ford never built this car except for a few prototypes that look like something Ferrari built, but they already had thousands of these engines already built and nothing to do with them. So they decided to put it into their best selling car at the time, the Taurus. The Taurus SHO (super high output) came in 3 generations. They came equipped with the MTX 5-speed transmission built by Mazda Racing. Great car for anyone wanting to put people to shame in a sedan. It will beat any Mustang pre 2005.
A great post. A good engine. The thing I like about the article in the link I posted was that it named some achievements made by American automotive companies in terms of engine building.

Add your comment to this topic!