Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tamiya magazine

guiwee
10-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Sometimes i wish they would make a mag just for us car weenies!!!!....They have everything else..planes ...military....they just need one for ships and cars...lol
They do sometimes do cars but they are few and far between. I love thier format jus wish they would have one exclusively for US!!!..lol

viperofoz
10-04-2011, 04:58 AM
I get a bit annoyed with the lack of automotive content in TMMI.
I thought things would improve when they started introducing all the specialst off-shoot mags, but it didn't.
Theres still just as many military and aircraft articles as there ever was and just as few autos. It really is a shame because I love the layout and quality of Tamiya Mag.

As a result I have gone from buying every issue to not buying ANY from the news stand. I occasionly buy an issue on my iphone after pre-viewing the contents now, but that equates to maybe, 1 in every 4 of 5 issues .

The only magazine I buy regulally now is Scale Auto, it became impossible to get in my part of the world until I found an understanding news agent that orders and keeps a copy for me now.

flhansen
10-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Car Modelling Magazines has been done in the past and they disappear rather quickly again, because the amount of car modellers are few and far between. Just look at how many modelling sites you can find on military subjects - and aircraft compared to car modelling sites.

And there is another reason - as there are not a lot of car modellers and a lot of sub groups within car modelling. There is not enough interest in a pure european racing magazine. NASCAR folks won't buy that and some would say I build only formula one - I need a magazine! No says the lowrider population - we need a magazine with lowriders - au contraire says the hot rod folks - hot rods are the only interesting thing in modelling. No way says the mid fifties european VW fangroup! And so on.

When a magazine like the mostly horrible Scale Auto Modeller appeared in the late nineties it made on paper an european version of the longlived but mostly American subject Scale Auto Enthusiast. But where it failed miserably it was in my opinion of making a magazine where the magazine builds appeared to be made by people without even the most basic car building skills. I would rather like to buy a magazine with stunning models I could learn from, so in that respect the magazine failed. It somehow became Scale Models which then became Military Models... well that says it all.

Flemming

stevenoble
10-04-2011, 09:19 AM
I think the quality of Tamiya Magazine has suffered in general. Lots of 'mini reviews' whilst 'proper' reviews have literally tailed off. If I want to see the box contents and instructions of a new kit I can do that online. Also the magazine is just bursting with advertisements. Sometimes more so than 'real' articles. When they actually do build a car kit they never seem to go into much detail. Just a few pictures and a little bit of text. It's all got very mundane and boring...

Add your comment to this topic!