Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 express left rear door will not unlatch

Bart8528
09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Left rear door cannot be opened. Latch handle does not operate the rods inside the door. PROBLEM: Shop manual says to remove the inside door trim, RIGHT!, the door has to be open to remove the trim. Anyone out there have any ideas? Is there any way to operate the latches by sticking screwdriver or something at the top and bottom to get the latches to let go? I can see the latches at each place.

MT-2500
09-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Left rear door cannot be opened. Latch handle does not operate the rods inside the door. PROBLEM: Shop manual says to remove the inside door trim, RIGHT!, the door has to be open to remove the trim. Anyone out there have any ideas? Is there any way to operate the latches by sticking screwdriver or something at the top and bottom to get the latches to let go? I can see the latches at each place.
Does it have the old bolt type latch pin?
If you can not get to bolt to cut it off and or knock off outside latch handle.
Your best bet may be to find a good body shop.

Bart8528
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks to all who read my request. Problem has been solved by drilling two holes (1-1/4) in edge of the left door and reaching in to operate the rods. Found the pieces that had come apart on the lever and found a way of repairing the lever. New lever was going to cost me $67. Thanks again. Holes have plastic plugs in them.

MT-2500
10-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks to all who read my request. Problem has been solved by drilling two holes (1-1/4) in edge of the left door and reaching in to operate the rods. Found the pieces that had come apart on the lever and found a way of repairing the lever. New lever was going to cost me $67. Thanks again. Holes have plastic plugs in them.

You are welcome and thanks for posting back how it went and fix.
Always more than one way to skin a cat.
Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!