Page updated on 11-20-2017

Just Bought a Few Detail Sets...

Archetype123
09-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanted your opinion on these. I've seen the Top Studio's ZX-RR kit in action before on these boards, but never an honest opinion on it. It seemed like a great price, so I snapped it up.

And the F40 set, I took a total shot in the dark on because I had $20.00 in my PayPal account that I wanted to use up, and I have that build coming up next.

I don't know much about Hobby Design, so that's why I was a bit weary on picking it up.

Here they are:

ZX-RR: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TOP-STUDIO-DETAIL-Parts-TAMIYA-1-12-KAWASAKI-ZX-RR-/290605639717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9722825#ht_6070wt_1026

F40: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330609206341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_5429wt_1141

Thanks guys!

MidMazar
09-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I still haven't gotten a detail set from top studio although from research they are pretty good. I have their electrical connectors and have to say they are sweet.

With the hobby design becareful buying HD transkits as they usually have problems with their resin shrinking. Also their PE sometimes doesn't fit. So take caution getting HD stuff. Although i don't know about the f40 PE.

Zonic2001
09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
I have been building motos for awhile. Used many Top Studio sets and they are great. Sometimes too detail for my abilities. Be careful with the tinny little PE parts... they are easy to loose and the only way to replace them is by buying another set. For me I like TS better than HD. Top Studio has better instructions, when compared to the few HD sets I used. By the way, Dave Hong is a great guy. He has almost all Top Studio detail up sets for motos and cars. Feel confident in buying from him. Know him for 1-1/2 years and he is very honest person. He ships immediately after you pay him.

racer93
09-29-2011, 11:28 AM
I haven't used that particular ZX-RR set before. I used the "full detail" set that TS has and it's great. You really can't go wrong with Top Studio's items, especially their MotoGP bike items. F1 stuff is good, too.

Zonic2001
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I haven't used that particular ZX-RR set before. I used the "full detail" set that TS has and it's great. You really can't go wrong with Top Studio's items, especially their MotoGP bike items. F1 stuff is good, too.

Hey my friend, racer93... long time not seen you!

racer93
09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey my friend, racer93... long time not seen you!
Yeah, been busy building! :evillol:

I'm heading down to Huntsville, AL for an IPMS show this weekend. Pretty far for you but closer than heading north. You're not heading up there, are you? Or, are you heading up to Atlanta in November? It would be cool to meet more people from AF...

Zonic2001
09-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah, been busy building! :evillol:

I'm heading down to Huntsville, AL for an IPMS show this weekend. Pretty far for you but closer than heading north. You're not heading up there, are you? Or, are you heading up to Atlanta in November? It would be cool to meet more people from AF...

Sorry, heading to IPMS FL Regionals in Orlando this weekend. Haven't thought that far ahead to go to ATL in November but that could be an idea. I hear is a big show, is it?

racer93
09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Sorry, heading to IPMS FL Regionals in Orlando this weekend. Haven't thought that far ahead to go to ATL in November but that could be an idea. I hear is a big show, is it?
Yep, last year had something like 750 cars...it's one of the best in the country I hear. I've never been, so this time is my first. Should be fun!

Yeah, I'd go to a regional vs Huntsville. The regional should be pretty big, huh? I went to two shows this spring (IPMS) that were over 600 entries. I imagine a regional would be larger still....

Good luck!

Zonic2001
09-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Yep, last year had something like 750 cars...it's one of the best in the country I hear. I've never been, so this time is my first. Should be fun!

Yeah, I'd go to a regional vs Huntsville. The regional should be pretty big, huh? I went to two shows this spring (IPMS) that were over 600 entries. I imagine a regional would be larger still....

Good luck!

I'm going as spectator, just to look and compare to my work. For sure I'll be entering the local annual contest this coming Feb. If I go to ATL, will let you know so we can meet! Have a great weekend.

MPWR
09-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Treat PE sets as 'builder beware'. It is very easy for PE designers to fill the fret with parts that really don't add anything to a build. It's much less common for every part, or even most parts in a set, to be useful (especially on 1/24 cars). It is very much up to you to decide whether any particular part is better in flat etched metal than one in plastic (or one you could make yourself better with other materials). As long as you keep this in mind with each part and evaluate it for it's own worth, you'll do fine.

Archetype123
09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all your input, guys. Glad to see that I'm dealing with someone reputable, too! These are my first PE sets, so I just wanted to be sure I bought something half decent.

Treat PE sets as 'builder beware'. It is very easy for PE designers to fill the fret with parts that really don't add anything to a build. It's much less common for every part, or even most parts in a set, to be useful (especially on 1/24 cars). It is very much up to you to decide whether any particular part is better in flat etched metal than one in plastic (or one you could make yourself better with other materials). As long as you keep this in mind with each part and evaluate it for it's own worth, you'll do fine.

We can't all be as handy as you, unfortunately. :grinyes:

At least I know I can't!

Add your comment to this topic!