Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Strange rattle when stopped

Zuiun
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
My question is about a Mountaineer, but I figured I'd toss it at you guys, too (since they are virtually the same thing)...

I have a '99 Mountaineer (Monterey package, V8 engine, AWD, auto transmission) with approximately 113,000 miles on it. I've had the vehicle since 60,000 miles and so far it hasn't required anything but routine maintenance (oil changes, replacement tires, etc.).

Recently, it's started exhibiting a strange, metallic rattle when I come to a stop. It sounds like sticking a pencil against the blades of a metal fan.

It doesn't do this all the time. And when it does, it will just rattle for maybe a second and then stop. Maybe do it once or twice when stopped when it does it. So far as I can tell, it's never made the noise when the vehicle is in motion (but it hasn't been that long since it started).

I plan to take it in to have it looked at, but since it's not consistently reproducible, I thought I'd toss it to you guys to maybe get an idea of what I can ask my mechanic to look at.

shorod
09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I've responded to the post you put in the Mountaineer forum located here. (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1070843)

-Rod

squekyj
09-27-2011, 02:44 PM
if its nothing obvious like a cat or loose torque converter bolts have him check the starter drive sometimes those go bad and leave the starter gear out near the flywheel so somethines it hits the flywheel.. seen it several times.
:grinno:

Add your comment to this topic!