Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Huntsville, AL IPMS show 10/1/11?

racer93
09-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Can anyone give me info on this show, such as average attendance, rough number of cars, level of competition, etc? I'm trying to decide which show to attend and was curious about this show, as some friends are going that I can ride with.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Daniel

mike@af
09-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Can anyone give me info on this show, such as average attendance, rough number of cars, level of competition, etc? I'm trying to decide which show to attend and was curious about this show, as some friends are going that I can ride with.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Daniel

If you're looking for a great show to attend this fall, come to the Southern NNL November 12, here in Georgia just outside of Atlanta. Not a very far drive from Louisville. We usually have several hundred cars on display with a high caliber of building with the likes of Clay Kemp (who will be there).

More info: http://new.acme-ipms.com/content.php?122-2011-NNL-Southern-Nationals

racer93
09-26-2011, 02:57 PM
If you're looking for a great show to attend this fall, come to the Southern NNL November 12, here in Georgia just outside of Atlanta. Not a very far drive from Louisville. We usually have several hundred cars on display with a high caliber of building with the likes of Clay Kemp (who will be there).

More info: http://new.acme-ipms.com/content.php?122-2011-NNL-Southern-Nationals
Thanks, Mike. I am actually planning on driving down with Clay (he invited me down after seeing some of my work in Indy and Louisville). I'm really excited to see a show as large as that! 700+ cars--that's incredible. I've seen IPMS shows 600+ but that's *everything*. Our club had nearly 500 cars a few years ago and that was *huge* and a massive task to judge...

Since my friends are driving to Huntsville, I'm just tagging along for the ride, so to speak. The Louisville area already has 3 shows close by, so I figure they're going to be pulling from each other whereas Huntsville is on its own.

Can you guys enter the NNL (assuming you're part of the club that puts it on)? Here, we don't enter our own contest to cut down on home-cookin'. I know NNLs are different but I was just curious as to how things worked there.

Thanks!

Daniel

mike@af
09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks, Mike. I am actually planning on driving down with Clay (he invited me down after seeing some of my work in Indy and Louisville). I'm really excited to see a show as large as that! 700+ cars--that's incredible. I've seen IPMS shows 600+ but that's *everything*. Our club had nearly 500 cars a few years ago and that was *huge* and a massive task to judge...

Since my friends are driving to Huntsville, I'm just tagging along for the ride, so to speak. The Louisville area already has 3 shows close by, so I figure they're going to be pulling from each other whereas Huntsville is on its own.

Can you guys enter the NNL (assuming you're part of the club that puts it on)? Here, we don't enter our own contest to cut down on home-cookin'. I know NNLs are different but I was just curious as to how things worked there.

Thanks!

Daniel

Glad to see you will be arriving in good company...or is it really? Just wait, we have a LOT of fun and have no problem finding lots of trouble. As Clay will tell you, the hospitality is what makes the show, not the turnout (which has been incredible in recent years).

We [members] are allowed to enter our own models since the judging is peoples choice. I can't remember the last time an active ACME member won a BIS (thanks to Clay). As a club, we pride ourselves on our show, so there isn't any home cooking to be had. For us as members, its not about the hardware, but seeing people from all over the nation and parts of the world, come to our show to share a common interest.

I look forward to meeting you, have Clay point me out. I'll be the obnoxious inappropriate one jabbing at Clay and Dave T. :icon16:

Google is your friend...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fhpmsweb.topcities.com%2FContest%2F contest.html

You wouldn't like the NNL events, danny-boy, as they don't give out too much hardware there. ;)

Hey threadjacker--

Why don't you just answer the question I asked? Oh, you can't. Their site doesn't have the info I asked about. Been there, done that. Thanks for the extraneous info, I guess...:rolleyes:

You know what, jackwagon? I don't need hardware to make me feel good. I've had past winners (Atlanta overall) tell me that some of my work would be very close to winning in Atlanta, specifically. Again, thanks for the concern.

Yet another case for the "non-obsessive" person going to the other person he obsesses on. (Thunder Valley F1 being the other...)

Lumpulus, no need for the sardonic remark...let's all keep this a fun thread about sharing a common hobby. No more Thunder Valley discussion either.

:nono:

racer93
09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Glad to see you will be arriving in good company...or is it really? Just wait, we have a LOT of fun and have no problem finding lots of trouble. As Clay will tell you, the hospitality is what makes the show, not the turnout (which has been incredible in recent years).

We [members] are allowed to enter our own models since the judging is peoples choice. I can't remember the last time an active ACME member won a BIS (thanks to Clay). As a club, we pride ourselves on our show, so there isn't any home cooking to be had. For us as members, its not about the hardware, but seeing people from all over the nation and parts of the world, come to our show to share a common interest.

I look forward to meeting you, have Clay point me out. I'll be the obnoxious inappropriate one jabbing at Clay and Dave T. :icon16: No more Thunder Valley discussion either. :nono:
The TVF1 was only to make a point...

Clay had said that they turn into little kids for the weekend and just have a good time. That's pretty much what I'd love to do! I have two little ones that I'd like to emulate one time without them or the wife! :runaround:

I like good, fun competition as much as anyone but I also enjoy learning from those that know more than I do. Clay is definitely one. He's praised my work (thanks!) but I know it's still second to his. I'm getting close but without a lathe and mill...:crying:

Glad to know that you guys don't have home cooking. I hate that. Happens a lot in this area in certain shows. Really takes away from things. As long as everything is fair and a level playing field, that's all you can ask, right? You do your best. And it certainly seems that you guys (ACME) have done that. Everyone I've talked to has said your show is first rate and should not be missed. So, when Clay invited me, I didn't hesitate! :rofl:

Thanks again, Mike. I'll be sure to ask Clay to introduce us. I'm always up to meeting people from these boards! It's great to put a face with a name.

Daniel

hakkfan
09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
You won't be able to miss Mike. He's the one with the bright pink shirt, collar up. And his newly acquired "Pioneer Seed" hat he brought back from Iowa.....:iceslolan

racer93
09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
You won't be able to miss Mike. He's the one with the bright pink shirt, collar up. And his newly acquired "Pioneer Seed" hat he brought back from Iowa.....:iceslolan

Bright pink raised collar? I think he'd fit right in, now wouldn't he? :iceslolan Now, the Pioneer Seed had I'm not so sure about...:p

Hey Clay, when is the Toledo NNL? I can't remember...if I stay close this weekend I may head up there. Not sure, though.

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Bright pink raised collar? I think he'd fit right in, now wouldn't he? :iceslolan Now, the Pioneer Seed had I'm not so sure about...:p

Hey Clay, when is the Toledo NNL? I can't remember...if I stay close this weekend I may head up there. Not sure, though.

Toledo NNL is Oct. 8th.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Atlanta show. I'll be making sure Mike finished his homework :icon16:

racer93
09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Toledo NNL is Oct. 8th.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Atlanta show. I'll be making sure Mike finished his homework :icon16:

Ooo ooo! What was the assignment? Just curious...

I've just finished one biggie and got another one that I *may* have ready. I'll come with plenty to display! I'll bump the numbers up quite a bit! :naughty:

Eric Cole
09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Looking forward to the show this year in Atlanta. I'm also thinking about heading up to Toledo for that show.

mike@af
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Ooo ooo! What was the assignment? Just curious...

I've just finished one biggie and got another one that I *may* have ready. I'll come with plenty to display! I'll bump the numbers up quite a bit! :naughty:

My homework assigned by Bob was probably: "Complete a model before you die."

racer93
09-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Ha! You sound like my wife at times...:lol:

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-26-2011, 09:55 PM

You can say that again, grasshopper in the pink shirt :lol:

racer93
09-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Just curious--did you finish that Evo you were doing (the one in your sig)? That was pretty cool. I've talked to Clay about how to do the cage like that or with plastic. I just don't have too many subjects that have cages. I'm going to start one decently soon (MFH 917/30) that does, but it's not quite the same.

On that point, is there anyone in ACME that has a magnetic jewelry polisher that could possibly be rented out by me? I have been told that it's the way to polish white metal parts vs doing it by hand. (I have a condition that's similar to severe arthritis.) Just curious.

Daniel

mike@af
09-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Just curious--did you finish that Evo you were doing (the one in your sig)? That was pretty cool.

Still working on it, I'll have it at the show probably.

lumpulus
09-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Lumpulus, no need for the sardonic remark...let's all keep this a fun thread about sharing a common hobby. No more ********* discussion either.

Check your facts...I made no mention...danny-boy did.

Good luck to all who go to the contest.

drunken monkey
09-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Check your facts...I made no mention...danny-boy did.

you check your facts.
he didn't say that you did; it was a request.

and also, while I'm posting

Please--my name is not "danny-boy". It's either my moniker or Daniel. Thanks.

Daniel/racer93 has previously made a polite enough request.

racer93
09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
you check your facts.
he didn't say that you did; it was a request.

and also, while I'm posting

Daniel/racer93 has previously made a polite enough request.

Thank you, DM.

racer93
09-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Still working on it, I'll have it at the show probably.
I'd really like to get some tips you have about doing a roll cage like that. I have some rally car and DTM cars I could use it on (possibly) and I'd like to learn as much as I can. That is if you don't mind...:smokin:

mike@af
09-27-2011, 08:37 AM
I'd really like to get some tips you have about doing a roll cage like that. I have some rally car and DTM cars I could use it on (possibly) and I'd like to learn as much as I can. That is if you don't mind...:smokin:

Feel free to pick my brain as much as you'd like! I'll do the best I can to give you some advice!

tonioseven
09-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Mike actually HAS completed a build! I have proof of it!!!

http://images114.fotki.com/v288/photos/8/897838/9247542/DSCN4358-vi.jpg

mike@af
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Mike actually HAS completed a build! I have proof of it!!!

:rofl:

Well played, sir! Are you coming this year, Tonio?

Add your comment to this topic!