Page updated on 11-20-2017

2 K Clear don't stick well to Tamiya TS paints?

Tibi Keke
09-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi friends,

Since one month i have some curious issues with the Automotive 2 K Clear and i wonder if some of you already experienced similar situations.
I'm working now on two projects, a MclarenMP 4/5B and a Yamaha YZF M1. Both models are painted as usual with Tamiya Primer White, then Tamiya TS 26 by airbrush. After some days of drying i sprayed the Automotive 2 K clear. First happened at the Mclaren. After two days of drying i polyshed the hole body and prepered to spray the Florescent Red colour, but when i started to put the masking tape (Tamiya) i noticed a krack. Then i took the tape down to see what it happened and a small part of clear came down! I was able to take the hole clear down from the body, without to damage the paint!
I was not shore if it was a problem with the clear or with the paint because i used the clear in the past on some models painted on other Tamiya TS colors, so i changed the clear, is the same brand (Klar) but from a fresh bottle. Today i just masked some parts using minimum of masking tape and the trouble happened again. The hole clear came down without efort!
I would appreciate if some of you could give me some advice.

stevenoble
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Tibi,

Best advice I can give you is to lightly sand the TS before you apply the clear, so that you have a nice uniform matt surface. The clear won't stick well to an already gloss surface like what the TS paints produce, that is why when you mask over it the tape is pulling the clear off in sheets, there is no adhesion of the clear onto the gloss surface.

360spider
09-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Never heard of this. Did you polish paint by any chance before clearcoating?

Tibi Keke
09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi friends! Thanks for your help and interest!

@steve noble: thank you for your advice! I did sligtly sanded the parts, after that washed with water and dryed with my airbrush by blowing just air. I didn't want to let waterdops dry on the parts.

@360spider: well i heard about that, but never believe! i did not polish the parts befor. Just sanded with 2000 paper.

It is really disappointing because the parts cleared are looking so good! I will test next week a new brand, maybe two. Mipa clear is the first i get tomorrow, and next week i will try Glasurit clear but i have a bad feeling...

stevenoble
09-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Could be the clear then by the sounds of it. Try a different one and report back what happens. Good luck with it..

Tibi Keke
09-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Thank you Steve, i will try to get the Mipa Clear today and on Sunday i will do the test. I also got the information that the clear i used (KLAR) have two hardener typs i can use. One reacts and dry slower, this is what i used and the other one is faster.

Please tell me in the case you clearcoat o bike or a race car with many decals on it, you spray 2 K clear over a glossy surface, right?!

stevenoble
09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Thank you Steve, i will try to get the Mipa Clear today and on Sunday i will do the test. I also got the information that the clear i used (KLAR) have two hardener typs i can use. One reacts and dry slower, this is what i used and the other one is faster.

Please tell me in the case you clearcoat o bike or a race car with many decals on it, you spray 2 K clear over a glossy surface, right?!

I've already used the Mipa brand 2K and it was great stuff to use, no problems to report on that one. When I clear a bike or race car with lots of decals, I've usually applied one coat of clear before the decals. I wouldn't say that the surface is high gloss as such, just has a sheen to it and is basically 'sealed'. I used the Zero 2K over Tamiya TS on my recent bike build. That was a glossy surface before the clear was applied and I had no problems with it sticking to the TS...

Tibi Keke
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
My hopes are now in the Mipa Clearcoat but one guy from the paintshop worned me about the same dangers... Let's hope that this clear sticks better to the white tamiya paint. I will spray next week the clear on some plastic parts and put some masking tape on it. Let's see what's happening!

turbothirtytwo
09-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi what I do when I build a race car with many decals is that body is cleared with one coat of 2k to obtain gloss, aply decals and overspray with X22 clear from larger distance. it makes a nice orangepeel and clear can adhere well, also when I paint parts with TS paints I am spraying in short shots to obtain heavier orangepeel and had no problem with masking, but am always carefull just for sure

Slash.Snakepit
09-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi what I do when I build a race car with many decals is that body is cleared with one coat of 2k to obtain gloss, aply decals and overspray with X22 clear from larger distance. it makes a nice orangepeel and clear can adhere well, also when I paint parts with TS paints I am spraying in short shots to obtain heavier orangepeel and had no problem with masking, but am always carefull just for sure

Wait...what? I donīt think I understood this quite well. You strive to achieve orange peel while all tutorials, how-toīs, wipīs from incredible people around here have nightmares not to have it?

Or is a technique to get the clear to adhere and sand and polish your elbow off to get the finish glossy?

Cheers

turbothirtytwo
09-24-2011, 12:34 AM
2k clear sticks to surface mechanically not chemically so u have to create rough finish for it. thats why zero paints, or automotive paints are matt, thats why tibi can peel off clear like a film if its on gloss surface

Slash.Snakepit
09-24-2011, 01:11 AM
2k clear sticks to surface mechanically not chemically so u have to create rough finish for it. thats why zero paints, or automotive paints are matt, thats why tibi can peel off clear like a film if its on gloss surface

OK, makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback

Tibi Keke
09-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the tipp turbothirtytwo! I will definitely try this out!

stevenoble
09-25-2011, 05:09 AM
If you use Zero base coat paints then the 2K clear will stick to them no problem because they are designed to work together as a system. Just like Tamiya TS clear will stick to TS sprays without issue. I always try to use compatible paints so there are no issues. It's only when you mix different paint types and brands when the incompatibility issues start...

Tibi Keke
09-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks again for the info Steve. Now i understand more what was wrong in what i did. First of all i will change the way i work.

Add your comment to this topic!