Page updated on 11-18-2017

Finally Found MM Metalizers in Canada...

Archetype123
09-17-2011, 11:54 PM
...And I bought six bottles of the stuff from an online retailer. These paints are generally unavailable in Canada due to labelling issues. I asked so many shops, and they gave me that exact reason.

I have a few bottles of Alclad II that I use from time to time (magnesium, steel, aluminum), and those were around $10.00 each from my LHS. I paid $4.59 each for these airbrush ready metalizers, so the price point was pretty great. Whether or not these will take over for Alclad in my modelling will be seen, I guess.

My question to you guys who have used both, which do you prefer? I've seen some pretty fantastic results on brake rotors, and exhaust systems using this stuff.

Just hoping I didn't waste my money going on a whim when I've never used the stuff, but I guess I won't know until I shoot them through the old Iwata. Just some opinions on the stuff would be awesome.

Cheers,

Vince

nakadds
09-18-2011, 12:37 AM
...And I bought six bottles of the stuff from an online retailer. These paints are generally unavailable in Canada due to labelling issues. I asked so many shops, and they gave me that exact reason.

I have a few bottles of Alclad II that I use from time to time (magnesium, steel, aluminum), and those were around $10.00 each from my LHS. I paid $4.59 each for these airbrush ready metalizers, so the price point was pretty great. Whether or not these will take over for Alclad in my modelling will be seen, I guess.

My question to you guys who have used both, which do you prefer? I've seen some pretty fantastic results on brake rotors, and exhaust systems using this stuff.

Just hoping I didn't waste my money going on a whim when I've never used the stuff, but I guess I won't know until I shoot them through the old Iwata. Just some opinions on the stuff would be awesome.

Cheers,

Vince

MM sprays really nice but I find alclad more durable.

Hemi Killer
09-18-2011, 01:11 AM
I love the metalizers but they are very delicate once laid in. However with enough coats and proper cure time, you and sand and polish to a mirror finish like polished metal

They make a metalizer sealer as well, spray can or airbrush

Also, metalizer color steel is excellent for dry brushing to get the worn metal look or to accent high points. The other colors dry much too fast.

Archetype123
09-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks for your opinions, guys. I've heard it can be delicate if masking tape is laid over top and pulled off.

I got buff magnesium, titanium, and gun metal. As well as non buff steel, aluminum, and brass. I think I got sort of the full range of effects I'll need there. Spending thirty bucks on six small bottles of paints almost killed me, but I had to give them a try!

Add your comment to this topic!