Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intermittent Turn signals

Chala95
09-16-2011, 03:48 AM
My 2001 Chrysler 300M is experiencing intermittent turn signal issues. They will blink few times then stop, other times they will work properly. Both right and left. Someone suggested a new turn signal flasher unit. My question is this thing hard to replace, and where is it located on a 2001 Chrysler 300M? Thank you!

shorod
09-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Have you checked your owner's manual? Some cars have a "lane change" feature where if you don't go full detent on the turn signal lever it will flash the turn signal for a few flashes, usually enough to change lanes. Maybe your car has that feature and that's what you're experiencing.

Your car uses an electronic flasher for both the turn signals and the hazard lights. Next time it happens I would try activating the hazard lights and see if they work fine. If they do, then it's probably not an issue with the flasher but some other wiring issue. Of course the turn signal switch and hazard switch are in the same vicinity so if there's a wiring issue with the turn signals, it could pretty easily exist with the hazard as well.

You could also check with the 300M forum to see if it's common for the flasher unit to fail.

-Rod

Chala95
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Have you checked your owner's manual? Some cars have a "lane change" feature where if you don't go full detent on the turn signal lever it will flash the turn signal for a few flashes, usually enough to change lanes. Maybe your car has that feature and that's what you're experiencing.

Your car uses an electronic flasher for both the turn signals and the hazard lights. Next time it happens I would try activating the hazard lights and see if they work fine. If they do, then it's probably not an issue with the flasher but some other wiring issue. Of course the turn signal switch and hazard switch are in the same vicinity so if there's a wiring issue with the turn signals, it could pretty easily exist with the hazard as well.

You could also check with the 300M forum to see if it's common for the flasher unit to fail.

-Rod
Rod, thanks for responding, I don't have the manual I am in the process of ordering it. I know what you mean about "full detent" no I fully select the turn selector, not just a quick touch. The blinkers are very inconsistent on my vehicle, something is wrong.

As far as the 300M forum they take quite long to respond if at all, I love this forum, for all it's informative members and the frequent method in which they respond.

Tony Silva
09-16-2011, 10:27 AM
I had a 2001 Dodge Intrepid. If the wire systems are the same or similar...this may help.

I had a similar problem...my blinkers would do the same thing...blink a few times then nothing. Some times they wouldn't work at all.

I replaced the turnsignal flasher and it solved the problem. The flasher looks like a 'tall' relay because it is a combination relay AND flasher unit. It was located above the steering column...upside down...as in, the electrical wires were facing up. The flasher is black in color...but I think the plug was colored.

This is how I found the problem: I turned the keys to the 'run' position and turned on a blinker, then just started tapping on all the electrical stuff with the tip of my finger. When I tapped the right relay lookin' think the blinker would start flashing.

Chala95
09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I had a 2001 Dodge Intrepid. If the wire systems are the same or similar...this may help.

I had a similar problem...my blinkers would do the same thing...blink a few times then nothing. Some times they wouldn't work at all.

I replaced the turnsignal flasher and it solved the problem. The flasher looks like a 'tall' relay because it is a combination relay AND flasher unit. It was located above the steering column...upside down...as in, the electrical wires were facing up. The flasher is black in color...but I think the plug was colored.

This is how I found the problem: I turned the keys to the 'run' position and turned on a blinker, then just started tapping on all the electrical stuff with the tip of my finger. When I tapped the right relay lookin' think the blinker would start flashing.
Tony did you replace it with this...

Item: Flasher - Turn Signal
Product Number: NF LM470
Quantity: 1
Price: 29.89

?

Tony Silva
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I pulled a flasher unit out of another car at a local wrecking yard...I don't remember what the part number was.

Chala95
09-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I pulled a flasher unit out of another car at a local wrecking yard...I don't remember what the part number was.
Was it hard to replace? I am not handy, could an inexperinced person do it themselves?

Tony Silva
09-16-2011, 11:15 AM
It is not hard at all to replace. You can do it yourself in less than 5 minutes once you locate it. Or a shop would charge a full hour's rate for something that only takes minutes to replace.

Chala95
09-16-2011, 11:54 AM
It is not hard at all to replace. You can do it yourself in less than 5 minutes once you locate it. Or a shop would charge a full hour's rate for something that only takes minutes to replace.
Ok i just hope that solves the problem, thanks man i will report back!

Tony Silva
09-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey, I just looked in my buddys 300M and the flasher IS in a different location than the one on the 2001 Intrepid. The one on the 300M is located to the left of the steering column. If you open the drivers door and kneel down on the ground and basically lean in with your head underneath the steering wheel...look to the left and there you should see a black electronic module box. This module is attatched vertically to the metal of the car. At the top of that box is an ORANGE relay. Next to the relay is the black relay that is for the blinkers.

My friends 300 didn't have the inside lower interior 'kick' panel installed on his car. It was missing for what ever reason. But anyhow, that is how I was able to see the black electronic module. It has nothing to do with the blinkers, I only mentioned it as a reference point. Be careful with the orange relay as it has been my experience that orange and or yellow relays, sensors, wire looms etc... are part of the airbag system.

Looks easier to get to than the onew on the Intrepid. Good luck I hope I was able to help you out.

Chala95
09-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey, I just looked in my buddys 300M and the flasher IS in a different location than the one on the 2001 Intrepid. The one on the 300M is located to the left of the steering column. If you open the drivers door and kneel down on the ground and basically lean in with your head underneath the steering wheel...look to the left and there you should see a black electronic module box. This module is attatched vertically to the metal of the car. At the top of that box is an ORANGE relay. Next to the relay is the black relay that is for the blinkers.

My friends 300 didn't have the inside lower interior 'kick' panel installed on his car. It was missing for what ever reason. But anyhow, that is how I was able to see the black electronic module. It has nothing to do with the blinkers, I only mentioned it as a reference point. Be careful with the orange relay as it has been my experience that orange and or yellow relays, sensors, wire looms etc... are part of the airbag system.

Looks easier to get to than the onew on the Intrepid. Good luck I hope I was able to help you out.
Thanks Tony going out the the car now gonna take a look will let you know what i find, if it looks easy i will do it. Will report back!

Chala95
09-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Tony i seen exactly what you are talking about, but what scares me is how diffucult will it be to replace. I will quote a member of the 300M forums claiming the trouble he had...

"Comments on my relay replacement. First, removing the panel as described above didn't help me at all...and just got in my way. I put it back on. Next, the old factory relay would not budge for anything--it has a molded locking channel "feature". I finally had to grasp it with channellocks and twist it out--the relay case broke before the harness (which didn't matter because I tie-wrapped the relay to a cable).''

So Tony i am not sure about trying this myself :-(

Tony Silva
09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
You can leave the relay in place and just plug the wire socket into the new relay and zip tie the new relay to the old one.

Chala95
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
You can leave the relay in place and just plug the wire socket into the new relay and zip tie the new relay to the old one.
I am not following you Tony, what your suggesting sounds harder then pulling the old one out and snapping the new one in. I think i need to find someone qualified to do it for me.

RidingOnRailz
09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Hmm....intermittent turn signals. Seen a lot of those driving around town. Nonexistent turn signals - whenever I'm behind a pickup truck, van, or cop car! :rofl: :rofl:

Chala95
09-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Bottom line Tony, i had a guy do it for me for $10.00 bucks, he was not able to put it back next to the orange relay for some reason, so he had to put it someplace else. Everything works fine now, i can see from his experience i would have had a hard time. Thanks for all your help Tony!

Add your comment to this topic!