Page updated on 11-21-2017

Fujimi GT40 MK.1 + HRM engine +KA kit?

Hemi Killer
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I would like to buy the Fujimi GT40 and the HRM engine kit to hang on to untill I am ready to build.

1. Are there any photoetch kits out there for the MK.1 kit? I am tempted to buy the KA super detail kit just for the photo etch. I dont want to open the doors and all that.

2. I am having a hard time finding an actual MK.1 kit, even on Ebay. Are there any sellers in the US with them in stock?

3. Is it hard to get orders shipped from HRM? I have heard it can be 6+ months wait, does anyone have any recent experience?

roymattblack
09-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I know it isn't the Mk1, but for the amount of money you're prepared to spend with the upgrade kits etc, why not get the 1/12 Trumpeter GT40?
I've built one and it's bl--dy AWESOME!
There is so much scope for super-detailing, and even box-stock, it's one seriously impressive beast. If you've heard any negatives about the kit, it's probably from reviewers who haven't actually built one. Trust me - It's genuineTamiya standard stuff.
I went 'over the top' with mine and it's one of my centre-piece models now in full 'Gulf' livery.
Give it some serious consideration. You won't regret it.

Roy.

Hemi Killer
09-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I know it isn't the Mk1, but for the amount of money you're prepared to spend with the upgrade kits etc, why not get the 1/12 Trumpeter GT40?
I've built one and it's bl--dy AWESOME!
There is so much scope for super-detailing, and even box-stock, it's one seriously impressive beast. If you've heard any negatives about the kit, it's probably from reviewers who haven't actually built one. Trust me - It's genuineTamiya standard stuff.
I went 'over the top' with mine and it's one of my centre-piece models now in full 'Gulf' livery.
Give it some serious consideration. You won't regret it.

Roy.

I appreciate the suggestion, however the 1/12 is a no brainer :rofl: I would like to also have a 1/24 kit to work on. I plan on buying the Trumpeter kit and KA detail kit for myself for Christmas

I am not prepared to purchase all of this stuff right now, just getting my ducks in a row. I have a couple of projects to finish as well.

thank you

Exotics_Builder
09-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I beleive the KA super detail kit for the 1/24 GT40 Mk1 is out of production (for some time). The super detail kit now available is for the 1/12 Trumpeter kit.

Did you already get one? Or find a source that still has one?

John18d
09-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Hemi-Killer - I did the GT-40 1/24 Fujimi kit a while back and I got the HRM engine kit from Kevin at Strada - reference your wheel nut/locks (Top Studio) - Mediamix is a reliable shop - John

MerlinPro
09-18-2011, 05:26 PM
A word of caution for the Trump 1/12 builders- the KA set is NOT worth the expense or trouble.
I built the kit without it and achieved all the detail I wanted by scratchbuilding.
There is negative comment here and on other boards about the KA parts. Search and you will find-and you'll save ~ $150.
Apologies to the 1/24 builders.

petesy
09-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Studio 27 has a photo etch set for the 1/24 GT40 Mk.1. Hobby Easy is having it in stock at this moment.

daniel_k
09-19-2011, 07:54 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1064622&highlight=gt

I build the Trumpeter 1/12 some time ago and it sucked and the KA Models set sucked even more. I saw and build a lot of kits with detailparts and the KA set is a joke. So better doublecheck before you buy anything from KA Models.

I have a S27 pe set for the 1/24 GT40. it's an old and very basic set but it's not too bad. I prefer generic detailsets, like Hosejoints, screws and all such parts.

daniel
-germany-

Hemi Killer
09-19-2011, 11:35 PM
can I just use the HRM engine kit in a GT40 MK II kit? whats the major differences?

John18d
09-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Hemi-Killer - Are you trying to do a race MK I ?? or a street version ?? I did a MKII GT40 with the HRM resin engine bits and it has 4 double throat (twin) Webers for carburetors. I'm not sure if the MK I had that or a single DBL carb? I'm sure the GT40 guys would know - someone help us out here?? Thanks - John

Hemi Killer
09-20-2011, 01:33 AM
I would actually prefer to do a street version. I dont mind if it is not historically accurate, I'm just wondering if there is a significant different between the mk.1 and mk.2 kits . I guess you just amswered my question

The mk.1 kits are elusive and the mk.2 kits are everywhere.

John18d
09-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Hemi-Killer - glad to see you're not too worried about making it accurate. I'm no GT40 expert, but I believe the MK I's were small block (260/289) fords while the MK II's and MK IV's were 7 liter (427/428cc) big blocks. I believe the LeMans class allowed the bigger motors so they were installed for the 7 Liter max limit. Back then they had this thing about "no replacement for displacement" philosophy. Even though some of the earlier MK II's were small blocks. The HRM kit is pretty good - the resin is a bit thin on some of the smaller parts, but well worth the cost. I've paid much more for some ST27 motorcycle resin transkits that had much less in the box (both parts and quality) for way more money. - If you do not already have an HRM kit try Kevin at Strada - that's where I got mine - John

MerlinPro
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
John has the MK I and II difference basically right. Besides the aerodynamic differences the switch to 7 litre engines was desired because they could make peak power below 6200 RPM for long hours rather than the higher revving 4.7 and 5 litre engines-which hurt their reliability.
The tubs and all suspension components were heavier for MK IIs.
Here is MK I chassis 1008:
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/Aframe/1008Custom.jpg

Hemi Killer
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys that'd what I needed to know

Add your comment to this topic!