Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Volkswagen Beetle R Concept Gets Glammed Up

AF News Desk
09-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Not only is the Volkswagen Beetle getting a significant redesign for its next release, but its R tuned model is getting some shine to it as well.

Still, with the sleeker look and the power to match, this Beetle looks like the long, lost cousin to the past iterations of the new beetle.

Fortunately for those of you who aren't a fan, it's still only a concept, so who knows - you might not even have to worry about seeing it on the road.

The story from Jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/5839771/volkswagen-beetle-r-is-very-shiny-but-we-can-live-with-that):

Volkswagen Beetle R is very shiny, but we can live with that

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2011/09/xlarge_beetle_r_-_06.jpg

It's got more chrome than Elvis had themed bedrooms, but it's nothing a little dirt couldn't fix. Underneath, the Beetle R is something we'd no doubt consider taking home for a little of the old paddle shift, know wot I mean?

Unfortunately, for the moment, the AWD Beetle R is merely an attention-getting concept targeted to freaks like us, who, after driving the new 2012 Volkswagen Beetle, would celebrate the addition of a 266-hp Beetle. The figment of VW's conceptual imagination would get a version of the 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged four in the Golf R.

Of course, we'd keep the engine and the aero kit (and the sport seats), lose the 20" jewelry (some shiny things we just can't live with) and assume the position — behind the wheel, of course. Naturally, VW people are merely suggesting all of this might be possible, by way of teasing the crap out of us.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Call me crazy, but I think it has a better look to it from the past iterations of the Beetle. Instead of having the very feminine feel of the previous Beetles (yes, even the black ones, guy beetle owners - sorry), it has a more aggressive stance and look to it that offers a more unisex appeal.

Still, aside from the new look, there isn't much about this car that is technically "new." It's using previous platforms as the basis for its production instead of setting a new standard for the car and taking a chance that will benefit the company. Perhaps playing it safe works for the bottom line with the company, but if you're going to come out with something like this, I would think going out on a limb would be at least worth a try - especially in the conceptualization stage.

If this does make it into production, hopefully there will be some changes for the better, but that's a big "if" at the moment.

What are your thoughts?

tonioseven
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
I actually like it a lot better than the most recent New Beetle. I'd drive it after a bit of tuning has been done on it.

l.qinwe
02-17-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm a big fan of the Volkswagen Beetle! I fell in love with this little car more after this this :) http://bit.ly/w9bxJr

Add your comment to this topic!