Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Zero Paint and Tamiya TS

David Layton
09-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I am working on a Protar Alfa Romeo. I was going to use Tamiya TS pure white and Zero Paints McLaren MP4 Red. (from all photos, looks like they used the same shade as McLaren)

On a test strip (I am learning) the orange developed fissures or cracks within 15 minutes of application. The TS application was over 16 hours, so this may be a case of the TS was still gassing off. The primer coat is Tamiya fine white primer.

Another anomaly was that I had used Tamiya Masking tape and the Zero paint actually drew away from the tape, altering the straight line. What I gather about Zero Paint MP4 red is that it needs to be put on in multiple thin coats. and probably sanded with a polishing cloth.

Has anyone used MP4 red with TS pure white?

If I have to go back and use zero paint white, on the parts I have applied TS, will brake fluid remove it safely? Other option is use Tamiya TS Fluorescent red, if I can find it. Seems to be an EPA drive import issue.

stevenoble
09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Firstly don't use the Tamiya TS Pure White under the Zero MP4 Red because you will get those cracks that you speak of. Sometimes it happens straight away and other times can take a few weeks to a month to appear. You might be lucky and not get any at all but I've done it twice now and both times I've had the same result. I'm pretty sure that the TS shrinks when it is drying and once the MP4 Red is on top of it that shrinkage causes it to crack, just my theory. Use the Zero Pure White and you will have no problems. Also the problem you describe where the Zero MP4 Red is 'pulling' away from the tape edge is, I'm sure, a result of the TS being gloss finish and it makes the Zero MP4 Red have a hard time sticking to it. Again the Zero Pure White is matt finish so the MP4 Red sticks straight to it no problem.
You can strip both the paints (TS and Zero) with Isopropyl Alcohol quite easily. Brake fluid will also do as well but I don't like to use it as I find it makes the plastic very brittle...
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

racer93
09-14-2011, 08:05 PM
You might try sanding the base coat with 2000 grit sandpaper to effective "make" it flat. Once the gloss is applied, it will not be noticeable at all.

jmtomservo
09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm glad this question was brought up! I was going to spray some Zero paint over TS Pure White this weekend. Won't be trying that now...

Has any one had problems with Zero on top of Mr. Hobby Base White?

darcyrossi46
09-15-2011, 02:54 AM
i agree with stevenoble. I would think that problem is caused somehow by the ts paint being a gloss finish.

I am building a mcf1 in marlboro colours and used the mp4 red on it over zero paints pure white, no problems whatsoever.

here is a link to the car i am building with the paint on for you to see

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1070271

Isopropyl Alcohol is the way to go to strip paint if you need to

mattbacon
09-15-2011, 03:28 AM
This may be a stupid question but... Tamiya TS over TS is OK? I'm in the process of building a Miura, and have the body largely lime green (and cured for a week in the airing cupboard). I'm going to mask and spray the aluminium lower body panels this weekend. I was planning to use Humbrol Acrylic aluminium, which has a slightly matt finish. Will this be OK? If not, can I use Tamiya TS gloss aluminium safely?

bestest,
M.

outpost961
09-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Where can i purchase ZERO paints in the USA?

darcyrossi46
09-15-2011, 05:30 AM
mattbacon :tamiya ts over tamiya ts is definately ok, i remember doing this on some rossi bikes before i found the zero paints.

outpost961 : not sure if you can get zero paints in USA, you need to email HIROBOY and ask him i know they have some sellers now not in the Uk but not sure where. It all starts off from HIROBOY though so they will definately tell you. I'm lucky i only live 20mins from them so get to call in. Worth trying to find, they are very cool!

Add your comment to this topic!