Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chevy vs Ford: What do you like better and why?

eddie39
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
In general what brand do you like better and why

Moppie
09-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Honda.....

You have to love the Small Block Chev, its a great engine, and the Corvette is an awesome car.
Chev also have the best RWD platform, although Ford does have access to the Australian Falcon platform.

However, in the last 10 years GM has gone bust and been bailed out. They have made some very average cars even more average and have developed nothing in terms of new technology.

Ford got themselves in the shit, but got themselves out of it.
They have also developed some totally new 4cyl, V6 and V8 engines in the last 10 years. Engines that make the Chev equivalents looks very dated.

jon@af
09-10-2011, 08:11 PM
For the longest time, I used to be a staunch Chevy supporter.

I knew all the acronyms for bashing on Ford and knew that in most cases, they were justified based on experiences I had with my father - who is a mechanic - fixing Ford vehicles.

For a long time, Ford was just unimpressive to me with their styling and their mechanics. Their trucks (the base models, not the Diesels made by International) were under-powered and unde-rtorqued with the most bland interior you could find. Their cars were ugly and and suffered the same problems as their truck counterparts. Even the mustangs, save for the high-performance models, were underwhelming.

However, lately I'm feeling more drawn to Ford than I am GM/Chevy. This is primarily because of what Moppie eluded to: They've made strides to get better, put out better products and market their vehicles. They are employing progressive technology and showing refinement of areas that they used to struggle with.

Meanwhile, Chevy has the Cruze and the Volt. And.... that's about it.

Realistically, I would have enjoyed seeing Chevy build on their more successful platforms instead of trying to retool them.

knightjp
09-26-2011, 05:38 PM
For the longest time, I used to be a staunch Chevy supporter.

I knew all the acronyms for bashing on Ford and knew that in most cases, they were justified based on experiences I had with my father - who is a mechanic - fixing Ford vehicles.
Did you know FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily... that was one of the cleverest ones I've heard... :rofl:

For a long time, Ford was just unimpressive to me with their styling and their mechanics. Their trucks (the base models, not the Diesels made by International) were under-powered and unde-rtorqued with the most bland interior you could find. Their cars were ugly and and suffered the same problems as their truck counterparts. Even the mustangs, save for the high-performance models, were underwhelming.

However, lately I'm feeling more drawn to Ford than I am GM/Chevy. This is primarily because of what Moppie eluded to: They've made strides to get better, put out better products and market their vehicles. They are employing progressive technology and showing refinement of areas that they used to struggle with.

Meanwhile, Chevy has the Cruze and the Volt. And.... that's about it.

Realistically, I would have enjoyed seeing Chevy build on their more successful platforms instead of trying to retool them.
I would have to disagree with you here... Ford did make some interesting cars and did make really good engines. No doubt there were problems and stuff but most Ford fans would argue that GM customers had issues with some of their cars / trucks too... Which would make both sides equal. However the small block chevy engine did gain a lot of respect for being a cheap and easy engine to work with and was a fav among hot rodders on a tight budget; who even put them into their old Fords.
That said, I used to be a GM guy. Researched online and found that Ford too had remarkable engines, including the BOSS 429; which finding an original is about impossible.
Now I'm a fan of all great engines... SBC, BOSS and the HEMI.
I do agree that Ford has made leaps in implementing R&D where GM has only got concepts to show for and they didn't have to sell an Amercian brand to the Chinese to help themselves get out of debt.
I admit that Ford did a similar thing in selling a Jaguar to an Indian firm, but it worked out well for Jaguar in the end. The British are still in control of the engineering and design and they are building some awesome cars.... But have you seen any new Hummer models after the Chinese took over???
Kinda makes a non-blinged out H2 a classic in 5 years. :rolleyes:

If you want an answer of Chevy vs Ford and which one I would choose, I would choose Ford. But I wouldn't rule out a Chevy Camaro from my dream list.. :iceslolan

fordforlife778
11-16-2011, 09:53 PM
You all say dodge and Chevy can build trucks. But all of your trucks are from 1995 or newer. My 28 year old 1983 ford f-250 will outlast any chevy or dodge and i'd be more than happy to tow your cute little wanna be truck to the mechanic the next time your chevy or dodge breaks. Ford builds the best trucks. They always have and they always will. Ford is the only company i know of that build pickup trucks

DMS49
01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
I worked for a GM dealer for twelve years, many years ago. We had many loyal GM car customers who would never drive a Ford car, but wouldn't drive anything but a Ford truck. They would buy a new Buick from us, then drive across town to buy an F-150. I agreed with them, but I always liked Ford cars too.
Fast forward to today, and while I don't have any particular brand loyalty, Ford would be # 1 in my search for a new car OR truck.
David

SKp4nda420
07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey guys im still a newbie here, just wanted to know what "gm" stands for or what it means,

also i would have to go with chev, if not dodge
ford just never seemed to impress me, the only thing that gets my attention is the mustang and im pretty sure a comaro can beat its ass

dizzle1
07-18-2012, 06:34 PM
I like Chevy LSX engines and the new V8's from ford in the mustangs and the old Cobra DOHC 4.6 iron block SC with a IRS = great car. I like Corvette's but they are too common but they are great for 2 traveling and for doing small to medium errands with power and mpg. Other than the Corvette the only LSX powered car that came close to my taste was a pontiac G8 GT/GXP don't like anything else the new caprice 9C1 looks so bland its more like the impala in and out than a G8, I like the Tahoes but just see no need for it.

Lubeman
11-24-2012, 08:56 PM
You all say dodge and Chevy can build trucks. But all of your trucks are from 1995 or newer. My 28 year old 1983 ford f-250 will outlast any chevy or dodge and i'd be more than happy to tow your cute little wanna be truck to the mechanic the next time your chevy or dodge breaks. Ford builds the best trucks. They always have and they always will. Ford is the only company i know of that build pickup trucks

WHAT?! You need to do some more research. Several years ago I [unintentionally] had my 1989 GMC 1500 loaded with 2,300 pounds of gravel for landscaping. In spite of that I never had any problems with it before, then or since.

imakedacookies
12-24-2012, 12:55 AM
I'd take my old 454 Chevy over any ford if I didn't need to get better mileage than a tank. Overall ford and Chevy both have pros and cons. From my expirence fords got the power but they have the problems. Chevy seems to be built a little stronger and the base models are nicer than fords. When I say stronger I mean suspension and the frame, not the engine. If you are going to get a daily driver I would say go Chevy but if you need something for work or just want extra power that's not gonna kill you to fix go ford.

Autotransport1
01-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Ford is much better.
Ford = king of recalls, rollovers and spontaneous combustion.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Oj8xZMxvBU4/UFYx86Ug5fI/AAAAAAAAABs/xKAjQEi-ZwM/s1600/Ford-Mustang-Wallpapers-02.jpg

manish2013
02-19-2013, 01:08 AM
I am from India and owns Chey Aveo while my friend has Ford Fiesta. After covering 50K my Aveo has started giving problems while Fiesta even after clocking 50K+ is still going strong. Another good performer here is Honda. Hope it helps

rabidkhan012002
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Many thanks for your important post. I would like to suggest that Please keep continue it more and more. I will always visit this site regularly.

AlexGopson
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Personally I'm more of a Ford guy. Chevy is starting to make better cars again, but they've still got a pretty bland lineup, there's just nothing special there. The Corvette is as awesome as ever, but for the most part they haven't made any cars that really spark my interest in years. In addition, they're interiors from the late 90s through around 2010 sucked. They looked incredibly cheap, some of the worst interiors on the market if you ask me (stock anyway).

Ford on the other hand, they've got the Focus ST (or RS), which is one of, if not my favorite hot hatch on the market right now. In addition, the redesigned Ford Fusion is now the best-looking mid-size sedan on the market right now, that thing is beautiful and almost looks like an Aston Martin from the front.

dizzle1
03-06-2013, 03:25 AM
The only good cars G.M offers in the U.S for 2013 is

Chevy Malibu
Chevy Corvette
Cadillac ATS
Cadillac CTS
Chevy Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade
Chevy Avalanche/Escalade EXT
Chevy Silverado/Sierra
Chevy Express Van/Savana

And their whole lineup consists of just 26 vehicles, if you choose 1 of each car model, and only 1 for every vehicle that shares the same platform with another brand under G.M

swingline
03-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Grew up a Chevy fan, very disappointed with 90's and early 21st century GM. Disgusted with the bailout.

I commend Ford for not filing for bankrupcy.

That being said and after working on cars for so long, Ford does some of the dumbest shit. I would rather work on Chevy's overall, but they do some dumb shit as well, just not as consistently as Ford.

So, in conclusion, all makes have strong points and weak points. I have never owned a Ford and I do not plan to. I drive an Olds. If I were shopping for a new ride would probably buy a Buick.

dizzle1
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
I didn't like how all rwd cars turned to front wheel drives, I noticed the change from the 80's to 90's and hated it. Cars stopped looking classy from all makes only luxury car manufacturers did it right.

G.M had too many company’s and they made cuts but Buick is still around with its very limited line up and Oldsmobile had some good cars to redesign for the next generations but G.M was cheap and lazy on its platforms which were shared with other brands so Oldsmobile couldn't do anything. And the old platforms were still going on other brands after Oldsmobile’s demise. Pontiacs had no direction their cars looked like junk except for the G8 but still didn’t care for Pontiac. Chevy claims they’ll make a 2014 Chevy SS which shares platforms with the Pontiac G8 but it looks like they just stretched a 2007 Malibu onto a G8 body, it looks so cheap and awful makes me want a G8 GT even more.

G.M will probably cut GMC since they are almost identical to the Chevy truck/suv/van models or Buick because they’re cars in its class and price range that offer much more, they must be aiming for seniors who can't afford Cadillac’s. I don't see any new G.M brands yet.

Ford has some good cars but all they have left is Lincoln a senior car brand and Lincolns suck they have no rwd based performance cars.

jenagrey8585
03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
The GM pickups are all new and based on the GMT 900 architecture it shares with the new Tahoe and Yukon. The frame is said to be 234 percent stiffer torsionally and 62 percent better in bending. Engines range from the venerable 195-horse 4.3-liter V6 on up to a 400-horsepower, 6.2-liter V8 on the Sierra Denali. Most will come with the 315-horsepower 5.3-liter V8 with Active Fuel Management, which has an estimated highway mileage of 20 mpg. All engines will be paired to a four speed automatic or a six-speed auto in the case of the Sierra Denali. Top dog models can tow 10,500 lbs.—a staggering weight for a light duty pickup. Stabilitrak comes standard on crew cab models and is optional throughout the range. The interiors are much improved and on some models include a massive 6.1-liter storage console. Expect to see the new Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra in dealerships this winter.

The new F-150 is essentially a carryover. But Ford made sure to tell us that the F-150 now has a towing capacity of up to 10,500-lbs. Yep, just like the Chevy and GMC. New models this year include a 2WD FX2 sport model and a Harley Davidson SuperCrew model. Ford also says it will lower prices on ’07 F-150s by up to $1400 on some trucks. Will that be enough to keep the all-new Chevy and GMC from stealing the F-150s thunder this year? Only time will tell.

Ford FE man 33
07-09-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm more of a ford guy but I only really talk about trucks made before 1994. Until then the three American company's all made great trucks. After that fact I would have to say they all suck with the worst being dodge. The chevy 350 and ford 351w are amazing engines. I love Chevy and dodge too but I like fords look, variety and reliability(no matter what anyone says)

jaetech559
07-09-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm a Chevy fan but not impressed with either side when it comes to anything after 08. Although gm as far as GMC Chevy and Buick are making adjustments to their designs to make them better Cadillac is just a bust. Ever new ford I've seen have just as many problems but ford doesn't dish out near as much to fix what they mess up on.

knightjp
07-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Was always a Ford guy myself.. I like Chevy. Chevy trucks were always amazing, but their cars always needed something. I must say that the new Chevy cars are pretty tight. I like the new Impala. It is good and the Volt is pretty nice too. But that is about it.
From Ford, the Ford Focus and Fiesta are well sorted platforms. Fiesta in any guise is a very good car in terms of handling. From the Trucks, nothing to beat the Ford is really great but I didn't like the interior of the previous generation.
So in between the two, I would choose Ford.

When I was in the market for a new car though, I went in for a Ram 1500. At the time it was the one with the truck with the best interior (from the trucks) and it was MotorTrend's Truck of the Year. :p

Add your comment to this topic!