Page updated on 11-21-2017

Question about Cleaning Excess CA off PE Parts

Zonic2001
09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
I have two PE parts glued on top of each other (they compliment each other) and I have very small glue run off that occured when I placed the top PE over the base PE. This small run I know is there and is bothering me also, I know that a judge with a magnifying glass will see it. What can I do to remove this excess CA glue without hurting the PE surfaces nor the bonding? The CA is already cured.

Plumberboy
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I think there is a product that will unglue CA glue. You might try putting a little of it on one of those miniature pointy Q-tips and slowly melt it off without scratching the PE surface by rubbing it back and forth.

Zonic2001
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I think there is a product that will unglue CA glue. You might try putting a little of it on one of those miniature pointy Q-tips and slowly melt it off without scratching the PE surface by rubbing it back and forth.

Did that before and unglued both parts

MPWR
09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Post some pics. It will be easier to give advice if we can see what you're talking about.

Zonic2001
09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Is a hassle to get HD pictures on a small piece of PE part that doesn't measure more than a couple of mm.

Is simple, think of a PE part in a form of a washer. Then, the second PE is a smaller diameter washer glued on top of the bigger one. Between the two pieces the glue ran out off the pieces and you can see it. How can I remove the excess CA? Excess CA ran out off between the two pieces, both pieces are PE (metal). No resin parts here.

MPWR
09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
I would scrape it off with a sharpened toothpick.

kadler18
09-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Use Acetone on a q-tip. Acetone slowly desolves dried CA.

Helico
09-08-2011, 07:08 PM
>95% Isopropanol worked for me.

Zonic2001
09-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Great suggestions!

But last night I used a toothpick and the solution that dissolves CA... it worked perfectly. I used a couple of toothpicks tho... it seems that the solution softens the wood (specially the sharp tip of the toothpick), strange but true. Anyway, it took several passes with the toothpick but took it out. I noticed no discoloration on the metal finishing. Just wanted let others know.

Thanks guys for the other alternatives. Will keep them in mind.

Add your comment to this topic!