2005 Accord V6 High Pressure Power Steering Hose Removal

ssudbury
09-08-2011, 08:45 AM
How to remove the "high pressure" power steering hose. I have drained the fluid, disconnected from the pump, and also from the rack. Removed the center clamp, and got it all "loose". However, I cannot seem to figure out how to "fish" the hose out. There is a long piece of metal tubing that connects into the rack, and it seems to be resting above some cross member that is not removable. Went to the library, and searched the AllData Online manuals. On the "How to replace the High Pressure Hose" page, it only showed a diagram of the power steering system, with no written description on how to remove the hose. I am not on a lift, but jacked up and supported and on my back under the car with the right wheel removed. I am stumped, and the new hose is due to arrive soon.

BullShifter
09-18-2011, 02:02 PM
If I remember correctly you have to remove the rear engine mount.

ssudbury
09-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Well, I am almost done with it now. Seems the rear motor mount is attached to a "base", that bolts to the subframe with 4 bolts. The lines run between that base and the subframe. Loosening those 4 bolts about 3/4 of the way, and then using a small hydraulic jack to the head of one of those loosened bolts, I was able to jack that base up about 1 inch, and that was sufficient to move the hoses through the channel. I had to disconnect the exhaust pipe as it was blocking one of the 4 bolts. I tried to jack the engine up, but everwhere I tried was too "central" to the weight distribution of the engine. I just needed to torque up the rear about an inch, and those bolts were tied directly to what needed to be lifted.

Add your comment to this topic!