Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The McLaren F1 Owner's Club

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Peloton25
09-08-2011, 03:31 AM
I have hinted at some pretty big news in the world of the McLaren F1 that I learned of during the Pebble Beach weekend and I've finally been given the go-ahead to announce it here on our forum. :naughty: It's been eating at me to keep this a secret for so long, so this is quite a relief! :runaround: It's also an honor to be invited to share. :)

Ray Bellm and his daughter, with direct support from McLaren Automotive, have chosen to create an official club for the McLaren F1 owners. The goal is to organize events to bring the cars together and celebrate the great history of the McLaren F1 at various milestone dates as time goes on. Their first event is planned for next year to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the F1s unveiling in Monaco in 1992. There will be another event scheduled for 2015 to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the 1995 Le Mans victory. Then again in 2017 a 25th Anniversary event, and so on. :sunglasse

This is easily the most thrilling news I've heard in the world of the McLaren F1 for quite a long time. We're all aware that the factory had organized an owner's event, celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the start of the F1's development, last year at the MTC and that was pretty cool. The goal of the events that Ray will organize are set to gather as many of the F1s together as possible for somewhat more public outings, including drives through some of the most amazing roads and picturesque locations in all the world. :thumbsup:

The club has a website too, but please keep in mind that registration is strictly limited specifically to McLaren F1 owners only. The expectation is that there will be a lot of private information shared with and among owners that for security purposes they don't wish for just anyone to have access to. I actually registered more than a week ago when someone at McLaren emailed me the link, and although I entered 'n/a' in the chassis number field I was still given access. :D This was short lived as Ray emailed me later to apologize - telling me that my registration had been approved by mistake and explaining the need to keep it very secure. Quite understandable of course, and I don't feel slighted. Frankly I'd been shocked to receive the approval so I really wasn't surprised.

Here's the link to give you a peek - quite tempting, I know.

McLaren F1 Owner's Club (http://www.mclarenf1ownersclub.com)

Ray had joined our forum here under the screen name 'bprchamp' making one post (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=6097477&postcount=21) back in early 2010. He's now offered to return to the forum as his time allows and share more information about the future plans for the F1 Owner's Club and also answer some of our questions and maybe share some stories from his experiences with the F1. :cool:

For those who aren't keenly aware, Ray is one of the two people we have to thank for the creation of the McLaren F1 GTR. Without the pressure from him and Dr Thomas Bscher it is quite possible that the McLaren F1 would have never gone racing, and all the additional history that was created from that effort and many of the reasons that cause people to so highly regard the F1 today never would have occurred. In my mind - no Ray Bellm = no F1 LM - if you want to put it in very simple terms.

I ask that you please join me in welcoming Ray back to the forum. Be respectful of his time and the attention he gives us as he's still very busy with other things and this is a real treat to get that kind of commitment from him. :smile:

>8^)
ER

cabrio92
09-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Hello Erik !!!! Fantastic ! What an announcement ! I can't believe it !

I almost cry to be honest.

The 20th anniversary will be great. You saw my email ? I wanted say some ideas to McLaren and I can also say that to Ray Bellm.

Welcome again mister Ray Bellm and congratulations for this idea who puts F1 closer of the 250 GTO.

Phil

Peloton25
09-08-2011, 03:52 AM
Hello Erik !!!! Fantastic ! What an announcement ! I can't believe it !

I almost cry to be honest.

Now you know what I've been going through. It has nearly killed me not to tell you guys! :grinyes:

Agreed on the 250 GTO connection - just imagine this gathering pictured below, but replace all the cars with McLaren F1s!! :cool:

http://i52.tinypic.com/e8l8ue.jpg
Photo Credit: Keith Bluemel

This Owner's Club is exactly what the F1 has needed for quite some time. :)

>8^)
ER

hurstg01
09-08-2011, 03:58 AM
That's great news. Ray's inciteful knowledge and history with the F1 can only enhance both this sites member-base and all our knowledge and enthusiasm for the F1

:thumbsup:

Having met Ray very briefly at last years Chelsea Legends Show, he is a real gent and, according to Le Man, I captured his personality quite well in my pic in this post (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=6796945&postcount=19) :)

carbuilder2002
09-08-2011, 06:20 AM
To be honest I am amazed it has taten this long for an owners club to be set up as almost every other vehicle has an owners/drivers club of some description.
I spent many happy years as members of various owners clubs and it was certainly odd that this most special car never got one off the ground until now.

mini magic
09-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Whoa! Incredible news!

F1GTRUeno
09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Literally couldn't be any bigger or better for us F1 fanatics.

If they ever make the events public in anyway I think this may be the chance I need to see an F1 (or several).

Failing that I love seeing photos of the same car together, the 25 from the factory gathering was amazing, cannot wait to see what they come up with.

Cheers Erik for sharing and Cheers Ray for this and your racing endeavours, massively appreciated.

volvoman
09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
That is great news i have always wondered if Mc had a secret club for the owners how about us Mac lovers try to get an invite to an event :)

I believe Ray is local to me

bprchamp
09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I have been thinking of such a Club for a few years providing events for F1 owners to meet in nice places and use their cars in a non competitive environment. Chassis 005R will be there as last winter i bought it with some mates as it was resting in a vineyard in poor condition in the South of France. it is currently in a 1000 pieces being completely refurbed. To remind all it is the Cesar art car originally owned by Jean Maury Laribiere.
I look at the list of cars on your various ownership lists and there are quite a few out of date. you need to work harder. 012R is in the Uk for instance.
The owners Club website is for owners only I am afraid, as the owners like to be discreet. The first event will be in Europe but i want to run one in the USA as well. The first event will have 20 cars to reflect the first 20 years. All the best

Peloton25
09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Glad to have your contribution here Ray. :)

Will you be keeping the Cesar Baldaccini inspired livery on #05R or do you have other plans for it?

Is the Anniversary event next year capped at 20 cars or is there space for more if you have enough interest?

You are correct - that some of the info in the first post of our Recap threads is rather out of date. I've heard even McLaren has to struggle to keep up with the movement of cars sometimes and I'm sure almost no one is keeping any secrets from them. We will definitely try harder! :)

>8^)
ER

hurstg01
09-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Glad to have you back on here and thanks for the info

We knew #12R was in the UK - if it hasn't been updated then boy we do need to get our finger out! :)

At the beginning of this year I learnt #05R was sold after the auction where it didn't sell last year but it's news to me that you and some mates bought it - will you be keeping it in its Cesar livery or do you have ideas on another livery

Once again, glad to have you back on here and here's hoping you keep coming back for more :)

ETA Damn I've gotta type faster ;)

Sami Aaltonen
09-10-2011, 04:05 AM
A quick comment on this; no time for else:

ERIK: Thanks for let us know this!
This is superb news, if this all will be happen; I defenitely have some questions to Mr.Bellm, if he really can take more part of this F1's discussions.!

And that celebrations of 20th Anniversary of the 1995 Le Mans victory, hmmm this is very.....interesting. :jerking::runaround:

cabrio92
09-10-2011, 12:17 PM
How to say ? Bravo !

It's a marvellous idea mister Bellm and if we can help, please let us know. I have also some ideas to say you for future events.

Phil

Sami Aaltonen
09-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Mr. Bellm:

Is there any change to ask you some questions about 1996 season in BPR GT Championship?
And of course Your comments on the car are very interesting to hear. There isn't many who had had a change to spend so many hours behing GTR streering wheel.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has some questions...

It's really amazing to get Your knowledge to this Forum. Many thanks for that!
:lol2:

PatrickT82
09-10-2011, 02:50 PM
This is fantastic news!

As a huge F1 fan (as you may all know) I would drive to anywhere in Europe if I may attend the 'meeting' next year.

It would be HEAVEN for me and the best day out of my life:)

hurstg01
09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Does Ray or anyone else have some info on this owners reunion party from around the time of the 2009 Monaco Grand Prix?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/hurstg01/AF/picture-21.png

bucciali
09-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Welcome back to the forum, Mr. Bellm! It's a pleasure to have you here.

I look at the list of cars on your various ownership lists and there are quite a few out of date. you need to work harder.

There you have it guys....What we have done, simply is not good enough.... :sarcasmsign:

The last part got me :rofl:

Peloton25
09-12-2011, 10:30 AM
The only people working harder to keep track of the world's inventory of McLaren F1s have their paychecks signed by Ron. ;)

Still, we had a decent amount of outdated info being presented in threads that purported themselves to be accurate, so in that sense Ray was quite correct. :)

= = =

Speaking of working - I'm about 80-90% done with the new 'UK F1 fleet' thread. A few more photos to filter in and some polishing of the descriptions and I think we'll be set unless someone knows something "new"?

>8^)
ER

bucciali
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
The only people working harder to keep track of the world's inventory of McLaren F1s have their paychecks signed by Ron. ;)

Still, we had a decent amount of outdated info being presented in threads that purported themselves to be accurate, so in that sense Ray was quite correct. :)

= = =

Speaking of working - I'm about 80-90% done here. A few more photos to filter in and some polishing of the descriptions and I think we'll be set unless someone knows something "new"?

>8^)
ER

Both your observations are true. Downside of forums is that focus is mostly on the most recent posts, taking away 'attention' from the start/OP, where in our case the most up-to-date info should be. Ah well, it shouldn't be too easy, now should it :D :D

cabrio92
09-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Hopefully, there will be more than 20 F1s ;)

PatrickT82
09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
and hopefully we can attend the meeting:)

drewwtms
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
The goal of the events that Ray will organize are set to gather as many of the F1s together as possible for somewhat more public outings...

If there is an event in the USA it might be worth flying to. Assuming it would be open to true enthusiasts as well as owners. But I understand if owners want privacy during their F1 'vacation'.

basman007
10-07-2011, 04:08 AM
This is very interesting news. And the idea to create a 2oth anniversary meeting is excellent!

As a huge F1 fan (as you may all know) I would drive to anywhere in Europe if I may attend the 'meeting' next year.

Pretty much the first thing that popped into my mind! I'll try my hardest to attend as well :)

bprchamp
11-06-2011, 03:39 PM
i am happy to answer questions on the 1995 and 1996 seasons, no problem, good memories!

Peloton25
11-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Ray- good to see you've found some free time for our discussion group. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Peloton25/McLaren%20F1%20L/mcl_SI_069.jpg

That's #02R crossing the finish line in 1st at Jerez in 1995 - the start of something very special. :thumbsup:

Going into the season how much confidence did you have in the F1 GTR's reliability over race distances (especially the 24 Hours at Le Mans) and did you know already how dominant they would end up being?

>8^)
ER

Sami Aaltonen
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Ray!

Well I have two questions; who's idea were to took JJ Lehto onboard in 1996 Le Mans, Zhuhai and Suzuka?

I also would like to know; who's idea was to invite JJ behind #01R's streering wheel in 1995 Le Mans, do you know anything of this?
I know it was McLaren who found the other drivers to the car, Dalmas and JJ; who's idea that was to get JJ? :)

I have tried to ask this many different sources but still no full answer.
Hope you could give me some new facts.:)

cabrio92
11-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Very good questions, not to add for the moment :)

bprchamp
11-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok here we go - i could write a book about this.
In 1994 when racing the Porsche in BPR I had on order chassis 046 road car and said to Ron D that I was going to use it as a race car. He said I couldn't, I said once I have got it I can do anything. After senna's death i was sitting with ron in my garden and we discussed a race car. He said he would build me a one off for $1m. I said i couldn't afford it so we agreed I would find 3 buyers. hence Lindsay Own jones Thomas Bscher and myself went to Magny Cours in 1994 and signed contracts for 3 cars - 02R, 03R and 04R. I knew from that moment it would be a winning car and had input on the driving position for tall people and in car ventilation whilst they were building 01R. I knew it would win because we were front runners in the Porsche in 1994 and this was a massive step forward
Michael cane had run our porsche out of Lawrence Bristow's Cranleigh workshops and we were sponsored by Gulf. when I bought the car in 1994, I was phoned up by Gulf and they asked me if they could sponsor us, I of course agreed in the first meeting. It was a three year deal and in year 1 we received £500k which more than run the car. interestingly by 1997 it was £1m to run a car instead of £500k 2 years earlier. We were also blessed by Lindsay owen jones wanting to run his car out of our workshop, so we provided Gulf with a two car team
In Jerez it was wierd because the car was quick out of the box, but Sandro Sala really struggled with the car and in the race we lost a lot of time, so i double stinted the last 2 stints and caught up with Jarier in his Porsche and won, but not easily.
By Ricard we had the measure of the car and won more easily. Basically the car has the most wonderful engine but is nervous to drive as its wheelbase is not that long and had zero downforce. The road car steering rack was poor and too heavy so we had a faster rack that lightened the steering input. We got mark Blundell in for Le Mans - cost £25k, and he and Sala were great. it was one of my poorer races as I crashed whilst second just after Andretti crashed in the Porsche Curves about 100m further on. We lost 8 laps in the pits but came 4th only 4 laps behind the leaders. That tells you how well Blundell and Sala drove. The car was frightening in the wet as it had no grip at all. Lehto was absolutely amazing in the wet and the following year when we had him in our car I understood why. More later. we won the Suzuka 1000kms that year and it was very memorable as it finishes in the dark. In 1996 when we won it again, I apparently went into the history books as the first guy to win it back to back. I'm sure it's been done since. By the end of 1995 we knew the car intimately and could wring its neck.
So the 1995 car which is still only 10 minutes from where I used to live in the Uk was driven by myself, Blundell and Sala. although we didn't win the BR Championship it won more races than any other car - 6 I think and was 4th at Le Mans and won the Suzuka 1000k's - not a bad start.

hurstg01
11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Ok here we go - i could write a book about this.

I'm in for one if you do! :)

Great write up, thanks!

bprchamp
11-07-2011, 12:57 PM
The 1995 line up at Le Mans in 01R was arrived at within Mclaren. It was in the contract between the 3 owners and Mclaren that they could not run a works car. This was deemed not to be and caused a row between myself & Ron. Ueno clinic wanted to sponsor a car with Sekiya in it. Mclaren took the money and entered 01R under the banner and direction of Paul Lanzante - one of my best friends to this day. I believe Lehto and Dalmas were chosen by Jeff Hazel. at the race there were Mclaren personnel all over the 01R pit, but to be fait it was told to stay behind customer cars until they hit trouble. Was it a works car. yes - because the trophy is at Mclaren, the drivers were paid by Mclaren, and the car is still owned by Mclaren, but you know what it's good for the history of the car. I know JJ's manager of that time - Didier Coton who looks after Mika Hakkinen. during the winter break I agreed with Didier a deal to have him in the car in 1996 wherever we needed a third driver. We had telemetry. at Le Mans I could see and still have the overlays to see where he gains time. He was mega into corners under breaking, sometimes taking two tenths out of James Weaver and myself. At the chicanes down the Mulsanne he braked 50 metres after us and I tried it and went straight on. His control in the wet amplifies his ability under barking. By the way, James was the best co driver I ever had in my days of endurance racing. A real gentleman and we were very well matched in lap times.
I still have the records of our cars in the Gulf Team of every lap of every test and race day from the start to the end of 1997!!

Sami Aaltonen
11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Thank you very much this informations. Very very interesting.:)

Was it easy to get Lehto in your car those 3 races in 1996?

Peloton25
11-07-2011, 02:09 PM
So are you still friends with Ron and do you expect him to turn up at the Owner's Gathering in his F1? :D

Thanks for the answers so far. :)

Which was your most satisfying victory in the F1 GTRs? Did you have a favorite track - one where you felt the car really shined? I think the track I'd like to experience the most in an F1 is Spa-Francorchamps.

Besides the much-talked-about transmission woes did the GTR have any other overt weaknesses? I assume some of them got worked out over time through continued development of the cars, so you could address that too if you'd like. Also, how much of an evolution in performance and speed was gained with each new version of the GTRs. I believe Gordon had mentioned the first GTRs were about 90% F1 and 10% racer, and that ratio changed to about 60%/40% with the 1996 models. I assume performance didn't jump by the same margin but obviously there was a lot of justification to part with the first year car and move on to GTR 12R which you won the BPR Championship with.

One last question for now - would you have, or do you happen to know anyone who might have possession of photos showing GTR #04R following it's crash during practice at Jarama in 1995 with LOJ at the wheel? I have checked with John Brooks and he doesn't have any in his archives. I've also never seen any published through any other source. It wouldn't be great to see, but it's an important piece of history for that car that doesn't seem to exist in the public domain.

Thanks!

>8^)
ER

Davidoff41
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Hello,
That's absolutly great to read your words, and i'am sure that everyone here are really thanksfull of that.
I have a technical spec. question: In 1995, on Le Mans pré-test, 02R had a special roof air intake as we saw in the 1996 cars specification.
Why it was not used in Le Mans race and other BPR races in 1995?

Regards.

cabrio92
11-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Absolutely amazing BPRchamp !

Many thanks to share your passion and story. It's highly interesting.

What do you think about Yannick Dalmas ? I met him but I have impression he doesn't speak a lot on McLaren... Maybe I know the reason but not sure.

Phil

simmypam
11-08-2011, 12:28 AM
A very very sincere thank you. Some very special posts. Little treasures for enthusiasts.

bprchamp
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM
God, so many questions. Here we go.
1. It was easy to get JJ for 1996 because I did the deal in 1995 Winter and his manager is my mate!!
2. I am still friends with Ron and see him pretty often ( gave him my opinions on the 12C the other day which he listened to)
3. The best win in the GTR was Jerez and Suzuka - great track. The worst race was Monza when Nielsen punted James off in 1996 and Brands when engine blew - £80k
4. Lindsay rolled 04R right at the beginning of free practice. no one watched it as no spectators at Jarama at free practice. It was put under a sheet immediately but was not that badly damaged. It is now owned by Mclaren and also raced in Lark colours.
5. I would say 1995 cars were 90% road, 10% race, 1996 cars were 70% road 30% race, and 1997 cars were 90% race and 10% road. The biggest jump in performance was 1996 - 1997, but I can't remember the figures but could look at my records.
6. The air intake extension on 02R in 1995 was removed as it exceeded the Le Mans regs on bodywork and was deemed a modification.

Sami Aaltonen
11-08-2011, 01:16 PM
God, so many questions. Here we go.
1. It was easy to get JJ for 1996 because I did the deal in 1995 Winter and his manager is my mate!!

Thank you very much this one! This opened up some new thoughts!
And also those other ones of course were very interesting to read. Many things cleared up, I think!

I think Keke Rosberg is the man which we are talking about here now?
Do you know was Keke behind JJ's Le Mans deal in 1995 to Lazante's team? He must have been?
The team builded up around 6 weeks before the race (the information which DA book has), so all must be happended very quickly.
If Keke was behind it; did McLaren contacted to Keke or was it other way?

I have tryed to figure this out many times and many sources; but still this is almoust the one and only big black spot JJ's GTR career so far, how he ended up to Lazante 1995 Le Mans, who did what and how.

About that Brands Hatch engine blow; it was I think super rare thing if that BMW engine blowed up.
I think BMW searched it very carefully why it broke, do you know what went wrong there?
Some times I have wondered what went wrong.

cabrio92
11-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Many thanks again sir Ray Bellm.

I remember you in the vid when you owned #16R with the woman who drove GT40, it was so great.

On a side note, road legal GTR will be there at the anniversary ? Do you know #11R owner ? What about the GTR not street legal for the anniversary ? It's a shame they will not be at Le Mans Classic...

Philippe

bprchamp
11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
There will be about 4 road legal GTR's. Non road legal not permitted. I know of the owner of 011R , but don't know him personally.

cabrio92
11-11-2011, 04:32 PM
;) thanks ! It is very exciting since I don't remember a meeting including 4 GTR !

It would be interesting to contact #11R owner especially because he is a local for the event. I know he is a Autodrome customer.

Can I ask you if entries are closed or not ? Maybe I could try to convince french F1 owners who hide their cars :(

You cannot imagine at which point the idea to create such an event is excitinf for F1 communauty.

bprchamp
11-12-2011, 02:17 AM
011R owner lives in the UK. Not in France.

Davidoff41
11-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Is that possible to know which road legal GTR's will be there?
05R (Will u rebuild it as road legal? Same livery?) ; 06R, 10R, 12R, 13R, 14R, 16R ???

hurstg01
11-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Is that possible to know which road legal GTR's will be there?
05R (Will u rebuild it as road legal? Same livery?) ; 06R, 10R, 12R, 13R, 14R, 16R ???

Have #07 and #08R been discounted already? :naughty:

Le Man
11-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi BPR Champ,

Many thanks for answering all the 95, 96 season questions so far, makes for very interesting reading. I have plenty of questions to ask about your GTR experiances. But first, may I ask a special request from your goodself. would you be so kind to share some pics of #046 when you owned it, as I do love the road car in Blue. it has allways puzzled me that someone should change the car to default silver :screwy:

Great to hear that 05R is in good hands :thumbsup:

Very kind regards,

Martin.

bprchamp
11-14-2011, 02:13 AM
046 is in silver now and I have no pics of when I had it - sorry.

cabrio92
11-14-2011, 02:18 PM
I was confused maybe. In fact, I meaned two different things :
is #11R resides in Italy ?
and I know at least one owner name of a silver road car in France, So, I ask if all owners across the world know the event ? Is it possible to see F1 we never see ?

Le Man
11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
046 is in silver now and I have no pics of when I had it - sorry.

Thats a shame, I was looking forward to seeing it,s original colour. I did get to see #046 at Silverstone at the Classic, I do like how the interior is trimmed, still a nice car though.

Is the owner of 11R an English man?

carbuilder2002
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes 11R is last known to be residing in Italy

bprchamp
11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
011R is in the uk

F1GTRUeno
11-15-2011, 07:09 PM
It was up for sale at one point recently wasn't it? Presumerably that's when it changed from Italy to the UK.

carbuilder2002
11-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Hmm news to me I was sure it was sold to a guy in Italy

cabrio92
11-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Thank you Bprchamp for the news. Like Carbuilder, I believed it was in Italia at one point. Autodrome brothers told me that at Retromobile 2010.

GTRUeno > I don't remember the ad, can you say us where you see that ?

Phil

cabrio92
11-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Hello Bprchamp ;)

which was the first F1 to become road legal and how this idea has come ?

Phil

F1GTRUeno
11-23-2011, 05:48 PM
GTRUeno > I don't remember the ad, can you say us where you see that ?

Phil

I can't find the ad, have a feeling it was either on Anamera or Jameslist but vaguely remember there being a GTR for sale and someone determining it was #11R.

Whether it was a real ad or just another fake one I've no idea but it's definitely stuck there in my memory.

Sorry I can't find it though.

EDIT - finally managed to get the search through previous posts function to work and found the thread/a thread with some substance on it.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/02/04/for-sale-orange-mclaren-f1-gtr/

Obviously old photos of #11R (perhaps from or before it was at KS Autohandel?) but I can't remember if it was determined whether it was fake or not.

cabrio92
11-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Thank you :)

I remember now the car in Spain etc...

Strange all that stuff.

bprchamp
11-24-2011, 05:11 PM
The first GTR to be road legal was 012R which i did with Paul Lanzante. Cost £25k and took it to Le Mans 1997 by Eurotunnel with the Daily Telegraph correspondent. In 1996 however I had 046 road car and tool JJ Lehto and James Weaver - both fantastic fun and went around the Le Mans peripherique at 180mph - 3 up. I then took Karl Heinz Kalbfell's wife for a spin - she was silent!

cabrio92
11-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Wonderful !

I remember these fantastic shots you seem to ask your way with "Calais" indicators.

I would dream to go to Le Mans in 90s...

Phil

Sami Aaltonen
11-25-2011, 12:37 AM
The first GTR to be road legal was 012R which i did with Paul Lanzante. Cost £25k and took it to Le Mans 1997 by Eurotunnel with the Daily Telegraph correspondent. In 1996 however I had 046 road car and tool JJ Lehto and James Weaver - both fantastic fun and went around the Le Mans peripherique at 180mph - 3 up. I then took Karl Heinz Kalbfell's wife for a spin - she was silent!

These were defenitely new things to me. That JJ - Weaver thing specially!

carbuilder2002
11-25-2011, 01:42 AM
As one with inside knowledge of GTR conversions BPRchamp, do you know if any changes were made to the gear ratios or even what gear ratios are generally used in a road going GTR?

Sami Aaltonen
12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Mr. Bellm:

I have heard some things from 1997 season, and can you tell us anything about it?

Heard that BMW Motorsport's FINA cars were the "first team" to get everythign new parts to the car and You were with #25R with Davidoff Gulf Team that year; was there anything "first and second" team system that year?
Did FINA cars had new parts and you got them after wards and that's why Davidoff Gulf Team cars couldn't really match the performance compared to FINA cars?

It just can not be explain with drivers I think; but what was the story of that? Did BMW gave new parts first to FINA and then to GULF team?
Like example Helsinki race weekend was clearly big difference of speed between FINA and GULF cars. Rear wing were different atleast some of the GULF cars. Why's that?

And my second question is about Helsinki;
many drivers really didn't like the track, tricky and slow, bumpy and so on; what are Your thoughts about it?
You finnished the race 4th with Gilbert-Scott / Raphanell so it didn't went really not bad at all.

Hope You have time to give us some facts. :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!