Page updated on 08-20-2018

Caliper bolts 1999 alero

tinkering
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I have done lots of brake jobs so this feels like a dumb question. How do you get the crazy caliper bolts out? I loosened them off; I pulled and turned them with visegrips; I tried to turn them back in (won't catch the thread)... ???????:screwy:

gmtech1
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The actual caliper bolts thread into the slides. These will rotate when turning the caiper bolts. You need to hold the slides from turning with a wrench while removing the caliper bolts.

Make sure when reinstalling the pads that they are installed correctly, there is a inside and outside pad.

tinkering
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi, Thanks for getting back. What I did was loosen the calipers and slide rack as a unit; via the two larger bolts. I noticed the rebuilt calipers came like that. I put the new ones in after sil-greasing pad contacts etc.. I didn't need to take the caliper unit apart via the actual caliper bolt. I left the bleeder fitting open so the fluid would fill the new caliper via gravity. That should minimize the pedal pumping. I didn't open the bleeders though, when I compressed the piston back into the old calipers so I will pump a little extra fluid through so the old fluid doesn't wind up in a control valve up stream (that is something I just learned). I installed the pad with the warning rub tang on the inside, with the tang at the top (when the wheel turns forward, it compresses the tang, which seems correct to me). Thanks for your help.:jerking:

gmtech1
09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Sounds good. As far as the inner and outer pads go, the inner pad has the taller tab on the middle of the pad (top of the metal backing plate, not the actual pad material).

Add your comment to this topic!