Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headliner fix

tannerr52
09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
My car has no headliner at all. No foam, nothing, just bare metal. I have yet to find a headliner for it, nor do i want to shell out big bucks for it. So, how could i go about making a new one from scratch? or maybe a way to cover it up. Adding some sort of insulation would help too, as winter is approaching. Just something that looks nice is ok with me. I think i have an idea of what i want to do, as well.
Thanks,
Tanner

shorod
09-07-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure what method GM used to hold the original headliner to the roof in your car. Maybe the Bonneville forum could help out with that detail. If you have access to a large sheet of cardboard you could probably cut out the shape you need, then head to a fabric store and purchase the headliner material and headliner adhesive. I've heard from some of my friends that they were able to purchase headliner fabric and adhesive at the local chain fabric stores around here, but I haven't actually checked myself. I was warned to make sure to use headliner adhesive as the Super 77 style adhesive will break down the foam.

-Rod

tannerr52
09-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah i tried that, it was kinda complicated with flimsy cardboard. Im thinking multiple wood pieces covered in cheap fabric. Attach with upolstery screws. Wouldn't look too bad.

Polygon
09-20-2011, 11:39 AM
That or you could just pull one from a car in the junk yard and recover it.

tannerr52
09-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Meh, went ahead and built my own as cheap as possible. Not bad! :)

Add your comment to this topic!