Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting issue-fuel pressure??

P05Crossfire
09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
My 2002 Intrigue with 114,000 miles has developed a hard starting problem. When I turn the ignition to start it will turn over 4-5 times and almost start. Then when I turn the ignition again it will start immediately and run fine. I changed the ignition switch last fall because of the security light coming on, and that is no longer an issue. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, air filter, checked for vacuum leaks and cleaned the MAF a month ago. No change in symptoms.
This past weekend I checked the fuel pressure with a loan a tool from AutoZone. When I turn the ignition switch to on I can hear the fuel pump working. With fuel pump on and engine not running the pressure is 0. With engine running and FPR vacuum hose attached the pressure is 33 psi and with without the FPR vacuum hosed attached the pressure is 42.
The engine runs find at any speed or load.
Is there a check value with the fuel pump that could be open, or faulty FPR, or any other ideas?? I don't want to replace the fuel pump if I don't need to.

Tech II
09-06-2011, 09:18 PM
"This past weekend I checked the fuel pressure with a loan a tool from AutoZone. When I turn the ignition switch to on I can hear the fuel pump working. With fuel pump on and engine not running the pressure is 0."

Should have cycled the key several times, pausing in the off position for 5 seconds, between cycles, to see if pressure built up and held.....the check valve is in the pump, itself....

Did you notice the pressure when you shut it off? Did it hold? Slowly drop?

P05Crossfire
09-07-2011, 07:54 AM
"This past weekend I checked the fuel pressure with a loan a tool from AutoZone. When I turn the ignition switch to on I can hear the fuel pump working. With fuel pump on and engine not running the pressure is 0."

Should have cycled the key several times, pausing in the off position for 5 seconds, between cycles, to see if pressure built up and held.....the check valve is in the pump, itself....

Did you notice the pressure when you shut it off? Did it hold? Slowly drop?
The pressure drops fairly quickly, because by the time I got out of the car after shutting the engine off, to look at the gauge under the hood, the pressure was 0.
Thanks for the reply

panzer dragoon
09-11-2011, 05:38 PM
OBD2 that car and I bet it is a camshaft position sensor. No service engine light on?

CKP (crankshaft) sensor #2 theory.

P05Crossfire
09-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I have checked and there is no codes and no service engine soon, or service vehicle soon lights.

Add your comment to this topic!