Damm Truck

mmguy
09-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Alright have a 1997 Gmc Jimmy

Shiter will not come out of park. Shifter is on the floor. Have put in a new shifter cable and a different floor shifter.When I put cable in I got a day out of it and would not come out of park. Changed Shifter got 10 miles out of it will not come out park.Now what.
Had transmission put in 4 months ago.
I disconnted the shift cable at transmission and could not get shift lever to move.

HELP

Thanks

___Brandon
09-04-2011, 10:18 AM
There is a park lock mechanism on the shifter that keeps it from coming out of park until the brake is pushed. I would check into this, maybe there is a problem with the brake light switch on the brake pedal or something. A quick check could be have someone watch your brake lights for you, the lights should come on within a very short push on the brake pedal.

mmguy
09-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Brake lights come on. Were is the park lock

Thanks

Moppie
09-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Brake lights come on. Were is the park lock

Thanks

With the cable disconnected, can you still move the selector on the gearbox?
That quickly isolates the problem to being with in the gear box, or with the gear stick and assembly.

Normally the lock out is in the gear stick, and it can usually be over ridden manually encase the engine can't be started.

mmguy
09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I can move shfter if I take off cable. Looking at wires right now.Something I didn't think of before had remote start install about year ago.If I don't find anything with wires don't know what to check.

Thanks

___Brandon
09-05-2011, 08:03 AM
When you look at the inside of the shifter cycle the knob button in and out. Watch for something around the shift lever that is preventing the button from being pushed all the way in so you can shift from park. There will be some kind of electrical park lock mechanism in there, a solenoid of some sort.

Also, as was previously posted, take the shift cable off the tranny and make sure you can shift it by hand. If you can't the problem is in the transmission and not the shifter.

While you have the cable disconnected at the tranny, try operating the shifter. If the shifter will work with the cable unhooked, the problem isn't in the shifter.

mmguy
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
It working again, but I still check things. Wires all look ok. Can you change Solinoid beside shifter or lock it out. There is a small button outside the solniod. Can not find a wiring diagram for wires running from shiftter.

Thanks

53bruce
02-26-2012, 05:43 PM
one thing that i accidentally found is that if you pull the fuse for the air bag, the transmission shift lock release will not work. replacing the fuse solved that issue.

Add your comment to this topic!