Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 sunfire rear brake issue

bbfalls
09-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Hello all. In need of help/ideas on why i cannot seem to get the rigbt rear brakes adjusted correctly on my 99 sunfie (4 door).
Problem-->when the brakes are applied, the right rear wants to lockup(sometimes)...andmost of the time it wants to grip what feels like more than the front; which in turn you can feel the right rear being pulled down.
We have adjusted them via the adjuster, we have ground the backing plate( previously as it had some grooves) and these worked for a while but then the prob returns. The adjuster only worked for a couple of times this last time before the problem came back.
This occurs on all types of pavement dry, wet, ice. The latter being the worst.
Shoes are about 1 year old and drum.
Thx for any help in advance.
Bbfalls

gmtech1
09-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Do you use your parking brake? Check the park brake cable on that side and make sure it moves freely. If its bound up or siezed, replace it. This would keep the brake shoes from returning to their "rest" position.

bbfalls
09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
i dont use the parking brake enough....i understand now that is probably most of the problem. I will take a look at the parking brake cable...thanks!

bbfalls
09-04-2011, 02:06 PM
another new development, well another, hey bbfalls check....anyway i am being told by anthter sunfire owner that I could have a bad right rear strut that is causing my issue? Is it more likely it is the brake cable, the backing plate (having grooves?i never did find out why those were there), or the strut....it may all be adding up eh?:confused:

Tech II
09-04-2011, 02:50 PM
A strut causing a wheel to lock up? I don't think so......

Said new shoes a year ago......was the drum also replaced or turned?

Remove the drum.....check to see if the wheel cylinder is leaking.....if ok, with drum removed, on the side with the problem, just pull on the cable into the backing plate....see if the shoe expands a little, now release the cable and see if the shoes return to their position.....if they don't, see if cable is stuck,, or return springs weak, or if the shoes are hanging up.....

Some the the "lands" on the backing plate where the shoe edge rides, has little "marks" in them, to retain grease(I always used never seize).....these marks were always at a right angle to the shoe edge....if the "mark" was the same shape and direction as the edge of the shoe, yeah, then you would attempt to sand it out....otherwise, you don't...

e40water12
02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I think your wheel cyl is wornout.

bbfalls
02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Fixed.... replaced all, including the wheel cyl......adjusters, drums, shoes...

shoes were way too loose, and by the time we did the job one was cracked.

all that being said, hard to say what the culprit exactly was, but it is done.

Add your comment to this topic!