Moving south - should I buy used car up north or wait until I'm in the south?

traction88
09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm moving from NY down to Charlotte, NC. I'm looking to buy a used car, and trying to figure out if I'm better off buying one before I move or wait until I get down there.

I'd like to have southern plates, so buying in NY means getting temporary insurance and an interstate in-transit permit. Seems like a hassle, but I don't think either of those things is particularly expensive. Another potential downside is that a car up north will have salt exposure, but I'm not sure how significant that is.

The upside to buying up north seems to be that there are many more used cars for sale in the NY area, so maybe I get a better deal, plus it means I have my own ride down south. Otherwise, I have to borrow a friend's car (I'll reimburse him for mileage/wear/tear).

Moppie@af
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Don't some states have more problems with rust and wear and tear than others, due to salting the roads in the winter?

I always thought cars from the southern US were better buys than those from the north.

traction88
09-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Don't some states have more problems with rust and wear and tear than others, due to salting the roads in the winter?That's what I would have assumed, but would love to hear from those with specific knowledge on the matter.

bigalan6622
10-12-2011, 09:55 PM
I did the same and bought mine down south (Charlotte NC to be exact). I got all the info I needed from http://usedcarsincharlottenc.com
(http://usedcarsincharlottenc.com)

Chris V
10-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Definitely wait and buy down south. Huge selection of used cars still down there and they don't have the rust issues you'll find in NY. Plus, they tend to be cheaper. Use a search engine like auto tempest or crazedlist (a regional craigslist aggregator) to search the area for cars of the types you are looking for and you'll se a huge selection of good, cheap choices.

traction88
10-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Definitely wait and buy down south. Huge selection of used cars still down there and they don't have the rust issues you'll find in NY. Plus, they tend to be cheaper. Use a search engine like auto tempest or crazedlist (a regional craigslist aggregator) to search the area for cars of the types you are looking for and you'll se a huge selection of good, cheap choices.Thanks for the tip on the craigslist aggregator, it made searching much easier.

bbaaspencer
10-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Definitely buy one down south. The cars are not messed up by road salt. I went to NY and saw a 7 year old Honda and it was rusted out at the bottom. I never saw one rusted out in the south. I did a price comparison and they are cheaper down south too.

campolojr
10-26-2011, 04:48 AM
I agree wait to go south. Good luck with your purchase.

Add your comment to this topic!