Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Maxima engine light

GSOEC
09-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I've got a '99 Maxima with the engine light on. I took it to get it checked out and the technician said it was the mass air flow sensor that needed replacing. So I had it replaced but seems that wasn't the issue. Problems that I continue to have is that when I turn the engine off and then turn it back on less than 15 mins. I would have to press the gas pedal so the engine could start - if not it wouldn't start automatically. Another problem is when I'm driving and the engine light is on and then the battery and oil light comes on suddenly and the engine will slowly come to a halt and the steering mechanism will stop functioning. Hopefully its not in the middle of the HWY when it happens. Other than the problems the car drives fine. If there is any solution to this problem I'd greatly appreciate it!

Nahkapohjola
09-04-2011, 02:08 AM
I've got a '99 Maxima with the engine light on. I took it to get it checked out and the technician said it was the mass air flow sensor that needed replacing. So I had it replaced but seems that wasn't the issue. Problems that I continue to have is that when I turn the engine off and then turn it back on less than 15 mins. I would have to press the gas pedal so the engine could start - if not it wouldn't start automatically. Another problem is when I'm driving and the engine light is on and then the battery and oil light comes on suddenly and the engine will slowly come to a halt and the steering mechanism will stop functioning. Hopefully its not in the middle of the HWY when it happens. Other than the problems the car drives fine. If there is any solution to this problem I'd greatly appreciate it!

- The only electronic change at startup, when gas pedal position changes, is TPS = throttle pos sensor. Various ways/tests to check it; see page6 in my linky. Your sensor (actually not sensor but a potentiometer) is smaller but functionally same. Possibly bad.
When engine is warm, no such 'pedal help' as TPS is totally ignored by computer. (if O2 sensor is ok, that is)

- For example, if ign sw is worn, engine power is lost = and engine dies: all panel lights do come on. Here only switch replacement helps. (there are other reasons why power is lost, like relays, badcontacts, broken wire...)

Mileage?

GSOEC
09-04-2011, 07:26 AM
The mileage is 182,000

Nahkapohjola
09-04-2011, 10:12 AM
The mileage is 182,000

That means up to 40.000 x startups (average). Most switches can take it, though if well lubed.

One can either just change the (60$ ?) switch, or make a bypass wire&switch that delivers power circumventing the ign sw - for test purposes.

This shutdown problem (which I guess is separate) can also be semi-burned inhibit relay: relays are color coded and can be test/swapped 'by anyone'. If u hit the right one, the problem will vanish and appear on some other device ctrl.

Also check the contact issue, most expensive issues to let 'TEPCO-class engineers' to troubleshoot. A cheap but laborous remedy against oxidated connectors.

Add your comment to this topic!