Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 sunfire 2.4 headlight switch got me stumped

sedevlin
08-31-2011, 07:28 PM
ok the first time we had this problem the DRLs would come as normal but when you turned the headlights on only the dash lights would come on but no headlight but the DRLs would stay on. the right turn signal arrow would stay solid but when you hit the turn siganl the arrow would blink and all the lights worked. well i diagnosed it as a headlight combo switch and replaced it. this fixed everything for about two months then the solid turn signal light came back followed soon after by the headlights not working again only i could get the lights to work by pulling the high beam switch. i figured the problem this time was because i went the cheaper route and put a switch in with out cruise control even tho the car had it. so we put the right switch in with cruise control. and again fixed the headlight problem but this time the turn signal light stayed solid. again this fixed the problem for awhile but then the headlights stopped working again only this time i cant even get the highbeams to come on, only DRLs work. its really starting to get old lol and expensive. im pretty sure its gotta be a wiring issue causing the switch to short circuit and blow. but before i take the time and energy to rip the dash apart and start chasing wires down i figured i would see if any one has had a problem like before and has any confirmed fixs that will point me in the right direction. by the way all of these occurences have been within 3 years.

also off topic for this thread but the same car popped a 420 code awhile back and i replaced the cat. problem solved right. wrong a year later 420 code is back again. on the scan tool the downstream o2 sensor looks abit sluggish. mayb due to clogged cat. but how does a cat clog up in a year. i just did an induction on the car a couple months ago as well. ugh this car is really starting to piss me off time to tell the woman she needs a new one lol

Add your comment to this topic!