Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

loss of oil presure what do i do

Ronnie D
08-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I have a 97 Pontiac Transport and i was traveling down the road and suddenly i lost oil presure the light came on and it started clattering so i checked the oil level and it was fine so i had it towed home. Ichanged the oil useing a higher grade oil and lucas oil treatment and started it ...I still have the problem what do i do any sugestions

LMP
08-30-2011, 03:24 PM
....I still have the problem ....
...is check engine light ON ?
...problem...you mean low oil pressure...oil light ON ?....and clatter..?
How does the engine rev ?....normal with ample power...?...or barely keeping alive ? I ask that because there have been several cases of broken camshaft.....with engine barely turning on half the valves working.....

I suggest you delete your duplicate thread...click EDIT then DELETE

Ronnie D
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
yes check eng light is on and it has a loss of power it wants to die or dies

Ronnie D
08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
also check eng light is flashing

Ronnie D
08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
and yes oil presure light is on and the clatter is still there

LMP
08-31-2011, 07:24 AM
If you can get a code reader , see what it tells....I think the 3.4 cam sensor is in the back of the engine so a broken camchaft would surely pop a cam sensor error. Maybe there is another explanation but to clear the ideas, I'd be tempted to pull the front valve cover and see what's going on with the valve train. A compression test on the front 3 pistons would provide the same info.

Tech II
08-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Well, the vehicle is misfiring, because the check engine light is flashing.....need to see if there are other codes besides the P0300.....

LMP, I have not seen or heard of camshafts breaking in these engines....have you heard this or actually seen this? Naturally if it does break, the end of the cam drives the oil pump....

If the car is misfiring real bad, not sure if that slows down the engine enough to turn the oil pressure light on....

Guess we need to get an oil pressure gage on this......and also do a compression test, to check that cam....if compresion is ok, and vehicle cranks over ok during the test, time to concentrate on secondary ignition for the misfire....if ok, then fuel pressure...if ok, then posible injectors....

Jrs3800
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
The Cams in the 3100-3400 Gens were hollow and some of them do snap.... Not pretty when it happens... This is a very real possibility as I have seldom ever seen an oil pump go out in these engines...

I'd pull the front rocker cover( this will be fun * insert sarcasm here * ) And see if all of the rockers are moving, if they aren't you found the problem...

Just to be sure, you aren't pumping any oil on the ground.....

Add your comment to this topic!